Death is life's only certainty.

Well we should be reminded, and often.

Helps to get things in perspective, and do something with your life.

We are the only animal that is aware of its own mortality.

And at my age I do not need to keep being reminded of it thankyou.

We are the only animal that is aware of its own mortality.

And at my age I do not need to keep being reminded of it thankyou.

How do you know that? Within groups/families of animals, when one dies, the others become distressed and pine. How do you know they do not think it can also happen to them?

When a lion is chasing a zebra (which has seen many of its family caught and killed) do you not think it (the zebra) has the slightest idea why it's running away from said lion?

It may initially be instinct, but animals aren't stupid and if they witness one of their kind being brutally slaughtered by another animal, they may well learn from it.

How do you know that? Within groups/families of animals, when one dies, the others become distressed and pine. How do you know they do not think it can also happen to them?

When a lion is chasing a zebra (which has seen many of its family caught and killed) do you not think it (the zebra) has the slightest idea why it's running away from said lion?

It may initially be instinct, but animals aren't stupid and if they witness one of their kind being brutally slaughtered by another animal, they may well learn from it.

I know it because I have been taught it from people who learned it from other people.

Are you suggesting that everything we know should be from personal experience?

I also know those little dots of light I see in the night sky are massive suns, thousands of billions of miles away.

But maybe not eh, I have never been there.

I'm not bothered about going myself its just like going to sleep with out dreaming I suppose, but what up sets me is as you get older every one who you love starts to pop off, its like a conveyor belt as every one falls off the end then it comes to your turn,to be immortal sounds good but it would probably get a bit boring after a million years or so.

I know it because I have been taught it from people who learned it from other people.

Hmm, sounds similar to religion.

Are you suggesting that everything we know should be from personal experience?

No, I'm suggesting people shouldn't just take other people's word for it and try and get to the root source of the info.

Hmm, sounds similar to religion.

No, I'm suggesting people shouldn't just take other people's word for it and try and get to the root source of the info.

You dont believe in education then?

That much is obvious.

It must take you ages to perform any simple task, if you always have do it yourself.

Discovering the Laws of Physics, and the electronics involved in microcompputer systems must have took you ages, before you developed your computer, and devised a way to connect onto the internet.

By God, I would put you up there with Faraday and Tesla.

It is a privelege to take the mick out of you, and no mistake.

You dont believe in education then?

That much is obvious.

It must take you ages to perform any simple task, if you always have do it yourself.

Discovering the Laws of Physics, and the electronics involved in microcompputer systems must have took you ages, before you developed your computer, and devised a way to connect onto the internet.

By God, I would put you up there with Faraday and Tesla.

It is a privelege to take the mick out of you, and no mistake.

Of course I believe in education, whenever I am "educated" in something that I'm unsure of, I try to get to the root source of the information. I take it you prefer hearsay, myth, rumour and gossip though?

So how do you know that we are the only animals aware of our own mortality?

Of course I believe in education, whenever I am "educated" in something that I'm unsure of, I try to get to the root source of the information. I take it you prefer hearsay, myth, rumour and gossip though?

So how do you know that we are the only animals aware of our own mortality?

Slaughterhouses and Roadkill

Slaughterhouses and Roadkill

So, if someone doesn't realise they are about to be murdered that makes them unaware of their own mortality?

Your detailed statement indicates that animals simply don't realise that roads and abbatoirs are dangerous. How does this show they are not aware of their own mortality?

Archived