What is happening with ebay?

I even offered a redirection to work on Monday... That was rejected.

The buyer is demanding I pay again for the postage and EBay had never, in hundreds of problems, sided with me.

Maybe this will be the first.

About 3 years ago I sold an old classic fishing reel that I knew was worth £150+, but due to it's condition and box hoped to get £200+, maybe even £300.

It acquired a few watchers, and bid up to £200 quite quickly, so was optimistic. It was still at £200 when I had to go into a meeting with an hour to go. When I got back it had sold for £90.

Two bidders had removed their bids very late, with a third getting the bargain. I didn't even think this was possible, but they managed it. I mentioned my suspicions to eBay, but ended up begrudgingly packing the item a sending it off.

After investigating further I found out that these three people, the two who withdrew and the winning bidder, were all frequent contributors on a forum dedicated to these reels. :suspect:

My faith in eBay was forever damaged.

I sell a lot on Ebay and have noticed a sharp rise in non paying bidders since they stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback. The fees are a joke too, they're effectively charging you twice as they own Paypal, and they recently announced a profit of over a billion dollars despite the site having changed from a small seller's market to being full of fakes, scams and crooks.

I also lost over £20 because of an overseas buyer claiming that they never received a blu ray boxset that I sold them. I've got proof of postage, I've got almost 1000 positive feedback, the buyer has about 20, yet Ebay have made me give them a full refund even though it was only their word that it was never delivered.

I'm going to start selling on Amazon Marketplace or Playtrade now, I'm sick of Ebay.

since starting this thread i have just openeed a amazon account and i am currently getting to grips with listing etc.. what is the ''playtrade'' like i have not heard of this.

also i agree with the paypal comment i am also annoyed at the fact of the charging twice, effectivly ebay are taking nearly 20% of your selling price without your listing fees aswell.

i really do hope that google pull there finger out soon. if facebook can be free to all users and still be worth 100billion why carnt an aution site follow in there footsteps??

I've not had an item not received get to dispute stage since back in 2005/6, I always resend or refund in the rare case that I haven't had another one of what I sold them!

Well, I'm pleased for you, but I've had over 4000 transactions in the last 26 months and plenty have gone to dispute and they've all been found in the buyers favour, even when I've been able to "prove" delivery.

We can't always afford to resend another item, especially when you know the original has been delivered.

Well, I'm pleased for you, but I've had over 4000 transactions in the last 26 months and plenty have gone to dispute and they've all been found in the buyers favour, even when I've been able to "prove" delivery.

We can't always afford to resend another item, especially when you know the original has been delivered.

Suppose it depends on the value of the items in question, mine have always been low value, when I sold privately with just clothes and stuff, I didn't have an INR, then I got to large quantities of small value items, pennies to me, a few quid to the buyer, and always had spares. Now I'm doing hand made paper products, cheap enough to replace, and have only had one INR so far, and was only for 10 wedding invites, so only cost a few pence.

at one bit we was selling tax disc holders on ebay, suddenley for two days our account went stupidly busy and did 1000+ transactions in 48 hours, i think a link to a certain holder must have been posted somewhere but the day after ebay shut down our account as one of the holders had been reported for copyright, we contacted the original ownwers and they addimited a mistake had been made but our account was still suspended and ebay would not review the situation and said we was not alowed to appeal against the decsion

• 4 months later...
This is all so true. I sold something, marked it clearly that it was to be sent by courier. The customer refused the goods and is now demanding I resend via royal mail at a vastly increased shipping rate.

You just can't win. eBay will, of course, side with the buyer.

Not exactly correct.

I recently bought an item that was blatantly mis-sold, eventualy the seller agreed to a full refund but I was left £64 out of pocket regarding carriage costs which the seller refused to pay.

EBay were of no help whatsoever the replies I received from them had nothing to do with my letter to them depite repeated emails I never once received an actual reply to my complaint.

Not exactly correct.

I recently bought an item that was blatantly mis-sold, eventualy the seller agreed to a full refund but I was left £64 out of pocket regarding carriage costs which the seller refused to pay.

EBay were of no help whatsoever the replies I received from them had nothing to do with my letter to them depite repeated emails I never once received an actual reply to my complaint.

Ive just had a very similar experience with e.bay.

i am not using them anymore. but surely its not just me that is fed up with how they treat there sellers, i know its not alot to a big firm like ebay but i was paying £400 - £500 a month in fees and they treat you like rubbish

Be careful Taxman will be lurking:D

Hi. I also sell on ebay but I get so heckled by sellers who try to fiddle out buyers with the extortionist postage fees.

I recently bought a JD drawstring carrier bag from some ebay seller, (I tried the jd sports shops and they do not have them anymore, you have to buy online to receive one) these my son likes for his football kit etc..Nice and big, spacious and light to carry.

Anyway I won one for 1.99 without realising what the postal fee was. My fault yes, I know I should have looked, silly girl. Well the postage was 4.00 2nd class, 4.00 for a carrier bag!!! So I asked the seller nicely for that price could he send it 1st class recorded. His response was so brilliant, I actually feel like I can actually forgive him. It went:

The reason for high postage is because the local post office is quite far from where I live, plus I need to pay for the parking also I need to book hour off from my work. So overall I would be making more money by just throwing this item in bin.

Well I cannot understand why he doesnt :loopy:

Archived