Dog attacks girl, 6

no it couldn't, a daschund is not physically capable of 'untold damage', neither is a mouse - it could give a nasty bite, so could a collie - but in this case, a bull terrier launched a sustained attacK on a child - it multiply bit her on the face, neck and shoulder and bit her ear off and you don't give monkey's do you?

Dachsunds were bred to kill Frank

so someone said that the only 'suitable' dog was a bull terrier?

who was this person? - are they medicated, if so why not?

if you are male, yes I think that the attraction to a powerful dog is based on inadequacy - I really don't believe that anyone told you that a bull terrier (like the one that maimed a child yesterday) was the only option, I think you've fibbed there.

Why on earth would I lie about it? I was told that she was my best option, and I wasn't going to argue with people who work with dogs for a living and know the dogs well that they have in their rescue centre at any one time. She'd been there for six weeks when I got her, they offered me advice and support after I took her home, and the only trouble I've had with her since is the fact that she eats everything off the ground she can possibly find and gets somewhat over-excitable and giddy at times (which is entirely my fault for not always walking her for two hours a day and making do with half an hour round the park if I'm busy). She is not aggressive, either towards dogs or people.

Several forum members have met her and could back me up on all of that.

I'm not male, no.

no it couldn't, a daschund is not physically capable of 'untold damage', neither is a mouse - it could give a nasty bite, so could a collie - but in this case, a bull terrier launched a sustained attacK on a child - it multiply bit her on the face, neck and shoulder and bit her ear off and you don't give monkey's do you?

Seems the smallest dogs ranked the highest when it came to human aggression, the top three being the Dachshund, then the Chihuahua and third, the Jack Russell Terrier.

Dachshunds, originally bred to hunt badgers, do not have a fearsome reputation due to their size, but research found that one in five dachshunds have bitten or tried to bite strangers

What is so hard to understand!?

I am saying I think it should be made illegal for dogs to be walked without a muzzle and that I am prepared to muzzle my dog if new laws were introduced! Also I think more people should be for it so EVERYONE has to muzzle their dogs, then this won't happen.

Isn't it far more likely that the responsible masses who already take full responsibility for their dogs, who already train their dogs and give them proper boundaries, who have liability insurance and good veterinary care will obey the law and the few who aren't responsible, who already have dogs that they fail to control properly or who have banned breeds like pit bull crosses will ignore the law in exactly the same way that they have with pit bulls being illegal dogs over the last 20 years?

The existing dangerous dog legislation has worked so well hasn't it? If it had worked properly then we wouldn't be seeing any pits or pit crosses in this country at all by now...

Yes I know that but it does lessen it all. If people are caught taking their dogs out without a muzzle, they should be taken from them. It doesn't hurt to try, does it.

Yes it penalised good dog owners and dogs for the actions of a minority.

Clearly you have no idea of the strength of the jaws of a dog of any size. A Collie or a standard Daschund (not the Toy 'Sausage Dog' you're presumably thinking of) could quite easily rip the ear, and indeed half the face off a child.

Where do you get the idea I 'don't give a monkeys' about what happened to this girl? Have you read my earlier post, where I advocated the dog be destroyed, and the owner be 'heavily punished'? I can only presume you haven't.

Isn't it far more likely that the responsible masses who already take full responsibility for their dogs, who already train their dogs and give them proper boundaries, who have liability insurance and good veterinary care will obey the law and the few who aren't responsible, who already have dogs that they fail to control properly or who have banned breeds like pit bull crosses will ignore the law in exactly the same way that they have with pit bulls being illegal dogs over the last 20 years?

The existing dangerous dog legislation has worked so well hasn't it? If it had worked properly then we wouldn't be seeing any pits or pit crosses in this country at all by now...

Couldn't agree more.

Archived