Dog attacks girl, 6

I know with your small brain you are finding this difficult to understand but I am comparing the owners of the car and dog and not the dog and car, the owners are responsable for both. The owner of the dog and car are responsible when either causes injury to someone else.

Have you swapped you brain with a chihuahua?

I say BAN these dangerous dogs totally, sterilise all of them so that they will not exist, would you like to ban the motorcar?

I say BAN these dangerous dogs totally, sterilise all of them so that they will not exist, would you like to ban the motorcar?

I don't want to ban either but then I’m not a fool like you.

Have you not been reading any of the things posted previously about the ban on pit bulls, which is now approaching 20 years old and which has failed totally, resulting in thousands of pits or pit crosses being in the country still?

Banning is all very well, but that's a very different thing to ensuring that there are none left.

If they couldn't ensure that every pit bull was neutered, tattooed and muzzled from that piece of legislation then how is following the same path a second time going to have a better result, bearing in mind that there are hundreds of times more Staffies than there ever were pit bulls?

Have you not been reading any of the things posted previously about the ban on pit bulls, which is now approaching 20 years old and which has failed totally, resulting in thousands of pits or pit crosses being in the country still?

Banning is all very well, but that's a very different thing to ensuring that there are none left.

If they couldn't ensure that every pit bull was neutered, tattooed and muzzled from that piece of legislation then how is following the same path a second time going to have a better result, bearing in mind that there are hundreds of times more Staffies than there ever were pit bulls?

I understand the points you have made but what do you propose should be done to prevent these attacks on members of the public?

Only yesterday there was an article in one newspaper describing how a new viscous cross-breed of lurcher / pit bull was being used by saddos for badger baiting. What if one of these was to go beserk in a public space, on or off the lead?

Maybe it's just me, but I would have thought making leads compulsory?

Given the types of people who tend to own these dogs, I don't the threat of a slap on the wrists if they are caught with the mutt off leash, will act as much of a deterant.

+ there is always a risk of the dog escaping.

Given the types of people who tend to own these dogs, I don't the threat of a slap on the wrists if they are caught with the mutt off leash, will act as much of a deterant.

+ there is always a risk of the dog escaping.

The type, if there is one that you refer to make up a very small minority, the trouble is that owning any breed that is vilified gets a person branded regardless of background.

I understand the points you have made but what do you propose should be done to prevent these attacks on members of the public?

Only yesterday there was an article in one newspaper describing how a new viscous cross-breed of lurcher / pit bull was being used by saddos for badger baiting. What if one of these was to go beserk in a public space, on or off the lead?

Bull lurchers are nothing new, it's just that the Daily Fail has found a new, stupidly sensationalist article to write about them. If you're a small furry animal I'd be worried about them, otherwise not. Dogs bred to hunt aren't going to be vicious towards people, that would make them un-handleable and useless for work. On the contrary, ex-working dogs coming in to the lurcher rescue are usually praised for their good manners on the lead and excellent recall.

I'm a 'type of person'

Oh dear...

The only breed I've ever owned is a Staffy, apart from 'Missy' who is now with my Mum having been left there when I moved out. Shes half staffy, 1/4 english bull, and 1/4 'pit bull' (whatever 'pit bull' means) and looks like an overgrown Jack Russell, and is scared to go outside in the dark, in the rain, and is terrified of even the ironing board, shes well 'ard! Bless her, poor old girl!

Archived