Dog attacks girl, 6

That's the crux of the problem, any knee-jerk reaction would only serve to punish the law abiding and be ignored by the scum who own and let these dogs run about.

I think there's a saying "Only the law abiding fear the law".

So true!!!!

Have you not been reading any of the things posted previously about the ban on pit bulls, which is now approaching 20 years old and which has failed totally, resulting in thousands of pits or pit crosses being in the country still?

Banning is all very well, but that's a very different thing to ensuring that there are none left.

If they couldn't ensure that every pit bull was neutered, tattooed and muzzled from that piece of legislation then how is following the same path a second time going to have a better result, bearing in mind that there are hundreds of times more Staffies than there ever were pit bulls?

Absolutely.

Even if we could, in theory, successfully ban all of the bull breeds - all of which make loving gentle pets when raised normally - the bad owners would just move on to another breed.

To the macho dimwit who wants a status dog/weapon/fighting dog, the breed is a ghetto fashion thing. Fashions move with the times - if we ban Doc Martin boots, the shaven-headed gentlemen who prefer them for kicking other people in the head will find an alternative shoe supplier.

With dogs it would be good to have breeders and owners licenced for all breeds, but introuducing that sort of control now would be a huge and costly undertaking.

Yes I agree, Frank doesn't seem to know one breed of dog from another, nor what they were originally bred to do. He just seems intent on going on about breeds bred for 'power, aggression and jaw strength' which of course could incude Newfoundland, St Bernard, Husky, a multitude of small terriers, all fighting dogs (which were bred for their aggression towards other dogs, and not people) Doberman (which I believe pound for pound has one of, if not the strongest jaws, and about which you rarely hear a bad word) and many others. Still, there's often no reasoning with a ferociously held belief based on 'gut instinct' is there.

eh up newbiz - mewfoundlands and sr bernie's - bred for passivity, husky's -(icluding the 1 my sister had) dangerous.

small terriers - hardly bred for power and jaw strength.

all 'FIGHTING DOGS' ( the clue is in the word 'fighting) , bred for strength and aggression

what hacks me off, is that a child has been injured by a 'bull terrier' the response isn't outrage, sadness or pity for the kid, but the usual outbreak of 'don't diss my bull terrier' - it sounds like you don't give a monkeys about the child, but resort to bizarre arguments like fighting dogs are safe cos they were only intended to fight other dogs! the world would be a better place without the existence of 'fighting dogs' they are the sport of the savage

Most people have expressed sadness over the girl and in fairness Frank it was your first post that set the tone of the thread. Sorry that not everyone is in agreement with your view on certain breeds of dog.

no they haven't - a thread about the horror of the kid's experience quickly became a 'don't diss the bull terrier' fest, as it always does. sympathy for the child and and anger about the event is notably absent.

no they haven't - a thread about the horror of the kid's experience quickly became a 'don't diss the bull terrier' fest, as it always does. sympathy for the child and and anger about the event is notably absent.

Owners of the dogs prevalent in this thread and others like it obviously object with being lumped together with owners that have no interest in anything but an unruly dog and why shouldn't they?

When you can separate idiots from legitimate owners of Staffs, Mastiffs etc etc then you might see a bit more sympathy.

Owners of the dogs prevalent in this thread and others like it obviously object with being lumped together with owners that have no interest in anything but an unruly dog and why shouldn't they?

When you can separate idiots from legitimate owners of Staffs, Mastiffs etc etc then you might see a bit more sympathy.

I wasn't talking about sympathy for you, I was talking about sympathy for the 6 year old girl and her family.

I have no idea what the dog's owner was interested in - only that he is 56 years old man and left the scene, showing no more sympathy for the injured child than dangerous dog owners usually show.

Archived