Dog attacks girl, 6

Equally, my little boys are placid in the extreme. I can't imagine a situation where they'd bite someone; they'd rather run away.

A vindictive little kid stabbed Zach with a stick and he still walked away rather than biting the kid, which, let's face it, the kid would have deserved retaliation for such an act.

And, in situations like this, it's *always* the dog at "fault".

That REALLY gets my goat.

Ive never come accross one instance where the dog was in any way to blame for biting someone.

Its always been about they way they have been brought up or someone has hurt them in some way, the dog retaliates and gets put down.

Nice!!

That REALLY gets my goat.

Ive never come accross one instance where the dog was in any way to blame for biting someone.

Its always been about they way they have been brought up or someone has hurt them in some way, the dog retaliates and gets put down.

Nice!!

I agree entirely. You only have to take a minute to see the kind of owners and see cause precedes effect.

And, whenever there's an encounter, I've universally found the owner of "nasty" dogs is quick to judge, blame, and insult me first.

Some years ago I had a beautiful doberman dog, he was so sweet and gentle, my little grandaughter used to sit on him to watch t.v while he slept, he let her do anything to him.

However he had a great hatered of other dogs ( I don't know why I got him at 6 years old as a rescue dog) and he would go mental if one passed him so I had to muzzle him when we went out. He didn't like it and funnily enough he never even attempted to go at another dog whilst wearing it.

It took less than a minute to put on that muzzle, and if that dog owner had just spent one minute doing the same the outcome would have been so different. I do think all dogs should be muzzled when out and about.

Sorry, but I'm not prepared to muzzle my dog when we're out.

She's shown no intention whatsoever (over a number of years) to bite, attempt to bite or otherwise menace humans in that time and the only people who outrank me in the doggy protection stakes are children, even children she doesn't know.

I know that a lot of people with children don't want a German Shepherd approaching their child so for the vast majority of the time her exercise is in child free zones, but because she's a working breed when we go out we take a ball or frisbee and the work we choose for her is to fetch that ball or frisbee.

If she was on a lead constantly then she would be a frustrated and hyper dog because it's pretty much impossible to exercise a large and high energy dog enough if you don't allow them to run, and if she was muzzled then she wouldn't be able to pick up the frisbee anyway.

In any case, what constitutes a public space?

How about a field which is walled off from the road and empty apart from me and my dog? Does she still have to be on a lead and in a muzzle when there's no human or dog nearby that she could potentially chase or hassle?

How about a huge area like Loxley Common where there are very few people who don't have a dog with them, but even though there may be dozens of people with dogs in the area you only ever meet one or two on a walk?

And, bearing in mind that Molly is very unlikely to be a risk to children, how will my keeping her on a lead and in a muzzle help if there are those (the same people who keep banned breeds, don't have an identity disk on their dog to comply with the law etc) who don't comply?

If there are more than 10 million dogs in the UK (source DogNews) then is making every one of them comply with a restrictive law really a valid response to attacks that are rare enough that they warrant comment in the news media once every couple of months? Penalising 10,000,000 in order to prevent (hypothetically) 100 bite incidents a year is really not going to fly, given the huge amount of resources that would have to go into policing this.

I feel great sympathy for every child who is bitten and their family who struggle to cope with the results of attacks such as this, but penalising every other dog is unfair on all of the dogs who were brought up to respect humans.

If I thought for a second that my dog was a risk to others then I'd have her put to sleep. I wouldn't put my visitors, neighbours and family at risk of mixing with a dog that showed any sign of being a risk to them, and I think I'm far more representative of the majority of dog owners than the bad owners who allow their dog to savage people.

Some years ago I had a beautiful doberman dog, he was so sweet and gentle, my little grandaughter used to sit on him to watch t.v while he slept, he let her do anything to him.

However he had a great hatered of other dogs ( I don't know why I got him at 6 years old as a rescue dog) and he would go mental if one passed him so I had to muzzle him when we went out. He didn't like it and funnily enough he never even attempted to go at another dog whilst wearing it.

It took less than a minute to put on that muzzle, and if that dog owner had just spent one minute doing the same the outcome would have been so different. I do think all dogs should be muzzled when out and about.

perhaps it was a rescue dog cos it was vicious to other dogs and the owner lacked the courage to have it put down so passed the problem on - as a dog owner I don't want other peoples dogs attacking mine

When i would to take my dog to the Vets, children would always ask if he bites before stroking him , I would say, he never has but theres always a first time, that kept them away, it's true there can always be a first time.

Sorry, but I'm not prepared to muzzle my dog when we're out.

She's shown no intention whatsoever (over a number of years) to bite, attempt to bite or otherwise menace humans in that time and the only people who outrank me in the doggy protection stakes are children, even children she doesn't know.

I know that a lot of people with children don't want a German Shepherd approaching their child so for the vast majority of the time her exercise is in child free zones, but because she's a working breed when we go out we take a ball or frisbee and the work we choose for her is to fetch that ball or frisbee.

If she was on a lead constantly then she would be a frustrated and hyper dog because it's pretty much impossible to exercise a large and high energy dog enough if you don't allow them to run, and if she was muzzled then she wouldn't be able to pick up the frisbee anyway.

In any case, what constitutes a public space?

How about a field which is walled off from the road and empty apart from me and my dog? Does she still have to be on a lead and in a muzzle when there's no human or dog nearby that she could potentially chase or hassle?

How about a huge area like Loxley Common where there are very few people who don't have a dog with them, but even though there may be dozens of people with dogs in the area you only ever meet one or two on a walk?

And, bearing in mind that Molly is very unlikely to be a risk to children, how will my keeping her on a lead and in a muzzle help if there are those (the same people who keep banned breeds, don't have an identity disk on their dog to comply with the law etc) who don't comply?

If there are more than 10 million dogs in the UK (source DogNews) then is making every one of them comply with a restrictive law really a valid response to attacks that are rare enough that they warrant comment in the news media once every couple of months? Penalising 10,000,000 in order to prevent (hypothetically) 100 bite incidents a year is really not going to fly, given the huge amount of resources that would have to go into policing this.

I feel great sympathy for every child who is bitten and their family who struggle to cope with the results of attacks such as this, but penalising every other dog is unfair on all of the dogs who were brought up to respect humans.

If I thought for a second that my dog was a risk to others then I'd have her put to sleep. I wouldn't put my visitors, neighbours and family at risk of mixing with a dog that showed any sign of being a risk to them, and I think I'm far more representative of the majority of dog owners than the bad owners who allow their dog to savage people.

the legal definition of a 'public place' (not space) is 'any place to which the public ordinarily has access' - that includes by payment , so a theatre or a pub are included - any open area which is not 'private land' are definitely covered.

the problem with your argument is that dog attacks are NOT uncommon, I was bitten several times as a kid - less common now cos the practice of letting the dog out is now unusual, but 'restrictive' laws on speeding, adult access to children, drink driving, etc etc are accepted - controlling the danger of aggressive dogs should be also.

re the dog (human kind) who left a severely injured child and high tailed off with his bull terrier unconcerned whether she was alive or dead, I hope he loses his job, his home and his friends and looks at the world through some iron bars for a while.

the legal definition of a 'public place' (not space) is 'any place to which the public ordinarily has access' - that includes by payment , so a theatre or a pub are included - any open area which is not 'private land' are definitely covered.

Which means that even if I take her to our favourite field and I check that there is nobody else there before letting her off her lead (and taking off the legally applied muzzle, if such a law was ever passed) then I'd be breaking the law by allowing her to exercise under control.

That's not being humane and providing proper care to my dog- that's appeasing the alarmists.

Archived