Met Police spent £35,000 on calls just to the speaking clock!!

If they are in interview with a suspect they are not going to ring the speaking clock at the start of interview.

Nobody said they would :confused:

As I said in my post, given the number of staff, there are actually very few calls made. The calls may have been for setting up equipment that shows the time, or for setting watches against?

Nobody said they would :confused:

As I said in my post, given the number of staff, there are actually very few calls made. The calls may have been for setting up equipment that shows the time, or for setting watches against?

simple, as they are in the "office" to phone the speaking clock, ohh i know, lets look at a pc, they are set by atomic clocks so even more precise than the speaking clock!!!

The clocks that the time servers are based on originally come from very accurate clocks, however by the time they get to your PC, they aren't necessarily very accurate (in computing terms, maybe up to a second out, usually several tenths at least). They even have warnings at the server end not to rely on them.

While that is Ok for general use, it certainly isn't accurate to compare them to atomic clocks ;)

a couple of 10ths to 1 second out max, in that case there is no good reason whatsoever to phone the speaking clock then!!!

Dont forget, its taxpayers money being spent here!!

They need the exact time sometimes. Watches aren't necessarily accurate enough. It sounds trivial but cases could be thrown out of court for something as minor as time discrepencies. Would you rather they pay for calls to the speaking clock or waste money on failed court cases?

That's a load of rubbish! In one of the jobs I did I needed to know the exact time. - And I needed to know it to a rather higher degree of accuracy than did a policeman. Initially I had a (very expensive) chronometer which was calibrated at the Royal Greenwich Observatory at Herstmonceux. (That added a few bob to the price!)

Then quartz watches came along and my expensive (and not very reliable) clockwork chronometer was replaced with a 50 quid Seiko which kept better time and didn't break down.

A modern 10 quid quartz watch keeps time to better than one second per day.

That's a load of rubbish!

Really? Because I know of cases that have collapsed for just such minor things, such as when someone was stopped or searched. But since you don't have a way of verifying my experience of court cases just as I don't have a way of verifying yours, let's agree to disagree, eh?

You're no help. :P

Here's my point. If all time is subjective, and the talking clock is the only objective measurement we have - then the police would have to be on the phone to the talking clock, at the time of the crime, to achieve accuracy.

It's no use saying "the crime was 5 minutes ago by my watch, and the talking clock says it is now 12.50, so the crime definetly took place at 12.45", because they are using a subjective timeframe again - their own watch and their own conception of "5 minutes ago". We've not achieved any accuracy. I can't understand the reasoning.

Archived