The Queen is Delighted

A lifetime of enduring 'Royal duties' selflessly, equates to 'doing nothing' in your book?
Nothing worthy of recognition. You've even had to put Royal duties in inverted commas because you know it amounts to pretty much bugger all: Going to a few parties, reading out a few lists and a speech or two every now and then, and trying not to be an embarrassment. That's all she has to do. A well behaved child could do her job quite easily.

I have the greatest admiration for any octogenarian that conducts herself as she does.
That's a reasonable position, however that makes her no more admirable than any other octogenarian.

Anyway, people enjoy the celebrations, stop moaning and organise a street party
That's a very silly argument. I'm not going to join in with any celebration just because celebrating things is fun.

I used to be a great advocate of dispensing with hereditary privilege when I was young but the older I get the more I come to realise that the concept of 'nobless oblige' is a valuable one.
Well I think that's absolute nonsense. Hereditary privilege is disgusting.

"Royal Duties" - not exactly work though, is it.

Maybe you should look up the subject. You might learn something.

31 UK or overseas formal engagements a year.

Weekly meetings with PM and heads of government

Formal greating and entertining of visiting foreign heads of states

Reviewing and signing all warrrants and acts of parliament (including laws)

Head of all royal palaces and control of all senior staff

Decision on all civic duties and allocation to family members

Decision on all logistics including royal transport, household members and other matters

Continuous public and civic meeting and greating

Continuous monitoring and responding to UK and Commonwealth events

Would you rather have a president Cameron? Clegg? Milliband?

Maybe you should look up the subject. You might learn something.

31 UK or overseas formal engagements a year.

Weekly meetings with PM and heads of government

Formal greating and entertining of visiting foreign heads of states

Reviewing and signing all warrrants and acts of parliament (including laws)

Head of all royal palaces and control of all senior staff

Decision on all civic duties and allocation to family members

Decision on all logistics including royal transport, household members and other matters

Continuous public and civic meeting and greating

Continuous monitoring and responding to UK and Commonwealth events

Would you rather have a president Cameron? Clegg? Milliband?

In other words, not exactly work.

Betty Windsor should try doing a real job once in a while instead of flying round the world patronising people and posturing like some sort of Medieval fantasist.

Well I think that's absolute nonsense. Hereditary privilege is disgusting.

Well unfortunately its been around for centuries. Time to get over it.

Its one of the few things that make england different and it certainly has done us no harm so far. If it did, why does the rest of the world take such a hysterical interest in the royals. (See viewing figures for royal wedding)

(See amount of people on the streets when queen visited ireland) (See amount of people who flock to London each year to look at all things royal).

In other words, not exactly work.

Betty Windsor should try doing a real job once in a while instead of flying round the world patronising people and posturing like some sort of Medieval fantasist.

How the hell do you know. Its enough work for someone who is 85 years old and has been stuck with the same thing since 1953. What do you do that's "real work" and so vital to the state?

What do you think MPs do all day?

What about the Prime Minister?

What about Judges?

Footballers?

Celebrities?

Its one of the few things that make england different and it certainly has done us no harm so far. If it did, why does the rest of the world take such a hysterical interest in the royals. (See viewing figures for royal wedding)

(See amount of people on the streets when queen visited ireland) (See amount of people who flock to London each year to look at all things royal).

I concur. On the other hand it does seem to go against the other rubbish you typed.

Edit: I'd just like to add post #19 to that.

Only last year baying mobs were chasing after some of the royals, shouting 'off with their heads'. The royals managed to get away.

They won't always be so fortunate.

Archived