Robin Hood's Bay

My oh and I are staying here for a night prior to my having yet another operation. We are right in the bay opposite the Bay Hotel and allowed to take the car down to unpack and drop me off as I can't walk far.

I want some sea air .. To see the sea and feel its power. I don't care whether it rains, or there is sun .. The sea always makes me feel stronger and I'm going to need that strength over the coming months.

For those of you who have been .. What should I make sure to do .. Nice pubs, eateries and so on?

Not wanting anything amazing ..the amazing thing to me will be to be near the sea but maybe my husband would like a good walk or two.

There's a couple of pubs at the bottom of the hill and at least one chippy. Plus there's a little area with seats that you can get to even when the tide is in, it's via some steps to the right when you're at the bottom facing the sea.

My oh and I are staying here for a night prior to my having yet another operation. We are right in the bay opposite the Bay Hotel and allowed to take the car down to unpack and drop me off as I can't walk far.

I want some sea air .. To see the sea and feel its power. I don't care whether it rains, or there is sun .. The sea always makes me feel stronger and I'm going to need that strength over the coming months.

For those of you who have been .. What should I make sure to do .. Nice pubs, eateries and so on?

Not wanting anything amazing ..the amazing thing to me will be to be near the sea but maybe my husband would like a good walk or two.

The Victoria at the top of the hill is probably the best bet for both foot and drinks. It is far cheaper than the ones down the hill where you can easily pay £3.50 a pint for ordinary hand pulled.

If the tide is in you can do the cliff walks to Boggle Hole. Path starts right outside The Bay Hotel.

If it rains go to Goathland and go on the trains. Pickering is nice. It is also the end of the steam line. Buy a day rover ticket for about £14 and go where you like.

I used to watch a TV programme in the 90s, Alec Clifton-Taylor raved about the architecture there and at Whitby, especially the red pantiles and the 'genius loci' of the whole place, so if you go walking remember to take a look around, and the higher you walk should give you a lovely view of those pantiles!;)

Fish and chips from the chippy down at the bottom and sit on a form and watch the sea just make sure that you are well wrapped up. There are some really nice little shops but I suspect that they will all be closed this time of year. The Aidensfield Arms at Goathland do nice meals if you are going to have a ride on the trains. Hope all goes well with your operation and that you make a good recovery.

Archived