Capping benefits to £26,000 a year - I think its wrong, do you?

I have just seen the news and it seems that benefits will be capped at £26,000 a year, this is simply wrong and unjust.

How does this make work pay, and make people want to come off benefits and into work?

Surely, the cap should be set at £6,000 per year, that way going to work would always pay more than not working. This will upset the liberals on the forum, but if benefits were capped at £6,000 a year it would stop people coming into our country having large familys simply to claim benefits.

It is politically incorrect, but why should someone earning £13,000 a year or the minimum wage have to struggle to get by, so another person can moan about the fact their money for not working has been cut to £26,000 a year?

Surely it would make more sense to cut benefits back to £6,000 a year, and then put up the minimum wage to £10 an hour, so anyone getting our of bed and doing a days work gets a decent wage? I bet this would have huge support

The cap should be on a 'per person' basis. Not per household.

Same with the tax thresholds etc. and they should be transferable. So a man with a wife and child to keep could earn more than a single man before being taxed.

As it stands, both these working men end up working and claiming benefits, and the latter claims far more. The entire system is irrational.

I have just seen the news and it seems that benefits will be capped at £26,000 a year, this is simply wrong and unjust.

How does this make work pay, and make people want to come off benefits and into work?

Surely, the cap should be set at £6,000 per year, that way going to work would always pay more than not working. This will upset the liberals on the forum, but if benefits were capped at £6,000 a year it would stop people coming into our country having large familys simply to claim benefits.

It is politically incorrect, but why should someone earning £13,000 a year or the minimum wage have to struggle to get by, so another person can moan about the fact their money for not working has been cut to £26,000 a year?

Surely it would make more sense to cut benefits back to £6,000 a year, and then put up the minimum wage to £10 an hour, so anyone getting our of bed and doing a days work gets a decent wage? I bet this would have huge support

I wish someone, anyone would explain to me in SIMPLE terms how anyone can get £26,000 in Benefit per year. I am on Benefit, and it's much nearer to £6,000 than £26,000.

Angel.

I wish someone, anyone would explain to me in SIMPLE terms how anyone can get £26,000 in Benefit per year. I am on Benefit, and it's much nearer to £6,000 than £26,000.

Angel.

Unless you have disabilitys then that is probably the right figure to be paid.

Obviously, if you are unable to work, then society should support you, it has a moral duty to do so

The only people that get more get it in housing benefit, which is paid to their landlord for rent. Rents are high in London, or if you need a big house for your big family.

It's a per household cap, so it doesn't matter if you're single or have 8 kids, parents & a wife to support.

JSA is £3510 per year for over 25s, or £2779.40 for under 25s per person. Any more than 7 people sharing a house would need those rates cut under this proposal & they wouldn't be able to get any other benefits.

What about people who physically can't work, and have no choice but to live on benefits?

Should they be forced to live their entire lives on £13,000?

What about people who happen to work in low paid jobs?

Should they be forced to pay tax to people who refuse to work?

What about people who physically can't work, and have no choice but to live on benefits?

Should they be forced to live their entire lives on £13,000?

Yes.

Errrrrmm, and OP I don't think there should be a cap quite frankly.

I mean, unless child benefits are exempt (and I don't think current proposals exempts this) then it would be disastrous.

I am a single parent and have just had to take a wage cut by getting a job.... The system offers little reward I know there are people who can not work but I also know that there are a lot that can.

Put the money in creating jobs, cut JSA and if you can not work then you will be looked after.... This is what out grandparents believed and are now freezing on a next to nothing pension and there only fault is fighting for our freedom and paying for our education in the most horrific palces........

More jobs is whats needed..... Cut it all to less than £8K per annum raise minimum wage and for those who need it give the help without discrimination.....

By the way do not blame this government it was screwed up way before then.......

Archived