Capping benefits to £26,000 a year - I think its wrong, do you?

I'm not paying any price for something the bankers supposedly did, what price are you paying?

Good point; I must say, if I'd not switched on a TV or read a newspaper over the past 3 years I wouldn't know that there was a recession on!

And no, I'm not a big earner in an ivory tower.

Good point; I must say, if I'd not switched on a TV or read a newspaper over the past 3 years I wouldn't know that there was a recession on!

And no, I'm not a big earner in an ivory tower.

Me neither, well below what a benefit claimant can get, but then I own my house so I don’t have the disadvantage of having to pay huge housing costs, I do however have the disadvantage of having to share the house with our adult kids. :)

I’m desperate for a house price crash so they can move out. :D

Plus £26 000 p.a. is not bad going, esp. to those on Minimum Wage.

HMG does need to make working better (financially) than idleness.

I'm afraid you're mistaken about £26 000 a years benefits being being worth £26 000 p.a. You have to remember that anyone earning £26 000 a year would have to pay tax and NI on that income, so in effect £26 0000 a years benefits would probably be worth around £40 000 a years salary.

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

What's your problem Mecky?

Getting solvent first-time buyers onto the housing ladder?

Boosting the economy?

Freeing up labour so it can move where needed?

More social housing?

More house building in general?

Or the idea that we should create a situation where people trapped in their homes by their own stupidity can be freed to start again?

It would all have to be done gradually of course but nobody can deny the housing market needs a radical overhaul. It is strangling the economy.

I wish someone, anyone would explain to me in SIMPLE terms how anyone can get £26,000 in Benefit per year. I am on Benefit, and it's much nearer to £6,000 than £26,000.

Angel.

the cap is per family

so i guess u get mum, dad and there 6 kids. income support for 2, child benifit, child tax credit, housing benifit, council tax benifit etc

So why is it when you talk about cutting benefits, the liberals come out screeming its not right, but when anyone mentions raising the min wage to £9 an hour, everyone says thats silly.

If you cap benefits on to £6,000 a year (yes, £6000 not £26000 a year), then the money saved can be used to top up wages.

Archived