Capping benefits to £26,000 a year - I think its wrong, do you?

Anyone who can work cash in hand and fiddle what they earn to pay less tax, then as far as I am concerned I fully back these people.

Why would anyone in their right mind who works hard pay more of there hard earned money to these scroungers?

I wish someone, anyone would explain to me in SIMPLE terms how anyone can get £26,000 in Benefit per year. I am on Benefit, and it's much nearer to £6,000 than £26,000.

Angel.

Live in London

6 kids

5 of whom have ADHD

1 has some other condition

single mother

Acts as carer for those with ADHD

And single mother suffers from severe anxiety, so cannot do any work ever again.

well i thought if they dish out the same punishment at the rioters got in the summer then if anyone pinched food even a bottle of water, then they would be locked up for six months. so unless there was two parents the children would have to be housed in social care.

And those rioters were out and about in their rags weren't they? Not a Blackberry or fashionable hoodie in sight. Those poor poor people.

And those rioters were out and about in their rags weren't they? Not a Blackberry or fashionable hoodie in sight. Those poor poor people.

Agreed.

Despite the fact these people were in poverty, they were pinching designer trainers and items such as x-boxes.

If they were as poor as they claim, you would have thought they would have been in Asda or Tescos pinching bread or tins or beans or other food items.

Strange, in other parts of the world, people in poverty are desperate for food, whereas in England people in poverty want designer trainers

Agreed.

Despite the fact these people were in poverty, they were pinching designer trainers and items such as x-boxes.

If they were as poor as they claim, you would have thought they would have been in Asda or Tescos pinching bread or tins or beans or other food items.

Strange, in other parts of the world, people in poverty are desperate for food, whereas in England people in poverty want designer trainers

Like I said, there's more than one kind of poverty. It's not just about being able to feed yourself.

Make work pay ... we've got to eliminate the poverty trap ... somehow ...

Sometimes when people start low paid work, or do a little bit of work they lose more benefits than they earn in wages.

this is outrageous!

It seems scandalous that someone works 40 hours per week, and the person next door works 0 hours per week yet they are better off...

this is scandalous!

One of the few tools at HMG's fingers is welfare reform, but this in itself should only be a stepping stone to creating a society where individuals are both encouraged and empowered to be self reliant. Eliminating welfare dependency has to happen, and it has to happen fast.

Too right!

It is believed American-born Miss Stark has applied for housing benefit towards the weekly rental cost of her flat so she can stay in the neighbourhood.

i'm speechless! who exactly is happy to pay tax so that Ms Stark can maintain something approximating to the lifestyle she's accustomed to?

It should never be the case that someone on benefits is better off than a worker.

agreed, never! How can this be achieved?

How about a negative income tax rate, hmrc should already know people's income, if it's below a certain level they get paid benefits, reduced at 50p in the pound for every pound they earn over that. Everyone would be better off working because they wouldn't see their benefits cut drastically unless they were earning a decent wage.

Not sure of the details here, but something has to be worked out ...

... working for no increase in purchasing power is virtual slavery and does nothing for demand in the economy.

Abolish slavery I say.

Ngogo Mwambi has to travel 5 miles every day for fresh water, 7 miles every day for food & 10 miles every day for medicine for him & his family.

This is because the daft b*****d and all his mates torched the Peckham Spar, Tottenham KFC and Hackney Medical Centre and now he has to walk to Croydon for his breakfast.

Archived