Capping benefits to £26,000 a year - I think its wrong, do you?

With regards to the proposal, it's actually pretty reasonable. The proposal is to cap benefits at around the national average salary. Less tax free allowances, this means that around 5 people will be working full time solely to support one household claiming the maximum. How can people seriously support a system which can pay out up to 8 times this (in some instances)?

The national average salary is not £35 000 - it is £25 500.

Does this £26.000 cap include benefits like DLA because if it does then it is wrong.

Contrary to popular belief, DLA is not means tested, so no, this new cap thing won't affect it! It won't happen anyway, it was defeated in the Lords last week.

For example, what could someone do that requires some kind of talent and wouldn't potentially impact on someone else's paid work?

It can't be beyond your wit to explain...

Well, for example (I can't believe I'm having to do this) you could implement a small charity's IT system. MrSmith could show dyslexic NEET's how he's found strategies to deal with dyslexia to help them get into a job or training.

Contrary to popular belief, DLA is not means tested, so no, this new cap thing won't affect it! It won't happen anyway, it was defeated in the Lords last week.
Its going to happen.

I can tell you a story about a king called Canute if you like. But just parroting "won't happen" isn't going to prevent it.

Its not going to affect the disabled anyway. They will be exempt from the cap

Well, for example (I can't believe I'm having to do this) you could implement a small charity's IT system. MrSmith could show dyslexic NEET's how he's found strategies to deal with dyslexia to help them get into a job or training.

That wouldn't give many of them much to do, whereas keeping our streets clean and tidy would be a daily job for thousands of them.

Archived