Capping benefits to £26,000 a year - I think its wrong, do you?

I've posted in favour of the cap.

I've also argued for fairness for the low waged - you should always be better off for every hour you work. The benefits system needs to be re-engineered to reward workers while supporting those in need at a fair level.

Whatever your views, Mark Steel's article in The Independent deserves a read ... http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mark-steel/mark-steel-all-aboard-the-london-eye-claimants-6293970.html (From Occupy Sheffield's Facebook page)

I've also argued for fairness for the low waged - you should always be better off for every hour you work. The benefits system needs to be re-engineered to reward workers while supporting those in need at a fair level.

Whatever your views, Mark Steel's article in The Independent deserves a read ... http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mark-steel/mark-steel-all-aboard-the-london-eye-claimants-6293970.html (From Occupy Sheffield's Facebook page)

Saw Mark Steele on QT this week making many of those points very well.

Mark Steele only knew what he wanted though, he didn't know how to make it happen or what the consequences might be. That kind of idealism without responsibility feels a bit like what got us into this mess in the first place.

Mark Steele only knew what he wanted though, he didn't know how to make it happen or what the consequences might be. That kind of idealism without responsibility feels a bit like what got us into this mess in the first place.

Mark Steel is a comedian not a politician. He's also a pretty impressive free thinker. We need people like him to put up performances like that. I agree though that we also need nuts and bolts politicians to make stuff happen.

He's great live too. If you haven't seen him, you should.

Why the new username?

£26,000 is far too high a cap. I work full time & earn £13,700 a year. I don't claim anything from the state. The cap should be £6000 & they should stop paying more money when people have another child. Working people don't get a pay rise when they have a child they have to budget accordingly. My parents raised 3 kids on less than £26,000 back in the days before tax credits. I appreciate that most people on benefits want to work but a minority take advantage & tar the others with the same brush. Working people are expected to live in properties thay can afford but if anyone suggests that benefit claimants do the same certain people react as if they are worse than Hitler.

I, I, I, I, You sound like a conservative, do you have any friends? £13,700 ? It's a cert you don't live on your own then, I bet your wife sorry competitor is subsidising your sorry existence though, so in fact your income would be larger than that.

My parents raised 3 kids on less than £26,000 back in the days before tax credits. When was that 1965?

Let me run this by you. I ran a business and had 5 kids and could easily afford a mortgage and buy the family whatever they wanted and life was good. Then my business went bust in the recession. Should I not have had 5 kids just in case my business empire collapsed? Should I have not taken out a mortgage, a pension, insurance etc just in case the business wnet bust or I might drop dead?

I, I, I, I, You sound like a conservative, do you have any friends? £13,700 ? It's a cert you don't live on your own then, I bet your wife sorry competitor is subsidising your sorry existence though, so in fact your income would be larger than that.

My parents raised 3 kids on less than £26,000 back in the days before tax credits. When was that 1965?

Let me run this by you. I ran a business and had 5 kids and could easily afford a mortgage and buy the family whatever they wanted and life was good. Then my business went bust in the recession. Should I not have had 5 kids just in case my business empire collapsed? Should I have not taken out a mortgage, a pension, insurance etc just in case the business wnet bust or I might drop dead?

No!...........you or anyone else should not lumber the system with 5 kids..........there's too many problems caused by indiscriminate breeding.

Archived