Capping benefits to £26,000 a year - I think its wrong, do you?

According to the Daily Mail (...yes I know,... I know...) 1 in 5 is forced to borrow money to buy groceries. Families subsidise them to the tune of £13,000 a year, according to a study by Scottish widows.

This suggests there are a lot of people struggling on nothing like £26,000 a year.

I have to say of the people I know on benefits, none of them is on anything like that.

Another informative post Rupert Baehr (289) Thank You, if i have read and understood this correctly it says that it doesn't matter how much money a person gets statistics will be the same?

To some extent, not matter what systems/policy is put in place people will always look to bend the rules.

I, I, I, I, You sound like a conservative, do you have any friends? £13,700 ? It's a cert you don't live on your own then, I bet your wife sorry competitor is subsidising your sorry existence though, so in fact your income would be larger than that.

My parents raised 3 kids on less than £26,000 back in the days before tax credits. When was that 1965?

Let me run this by you. I ran a business and had 5 kids and could easily afford a mortgage and buy the family whatever they wanted and life was good. Then my business went bust in the recession. Should I not have had 5 kids just in case my business empire collapsed? Should I have not taken out a mortgage, a pension, insurance etc just in case the business wnet bust or I might drop dead?

I doubt you have ever worked looking at your post count.

I wish someone, anyone would explain to me in SIMPLE terms how anyone can get £26,000 in Benefit per year. I am on Benefit, and it's much nearer to £6,000 than £26,000.

Angel.

Quite a few people know how to fiddle the system and get away with it thats why. If I could get 26k on benefits then whats the point in working, I could quite happily sit on my butt all day for 26K rather than work my bits off in a stressful environment for a bloody sight lot less

According to the Daily Mail (...yes I know,... I know...) 1 in 5 is forced to borrow money to buy groceries. Families subsidise them to the tune of £13,000 a year, according to a study by Scottish widows.

This suggests there are a lot of people struggling on nothing like £26,000 a year.

I have to say of the people I know on benefits, none of them is on anything like that.

My step mother in law gets every benefit known and unknown and I hate her for it. To make matters worse she also works and combined she gets a whole lot more than 26K judging by the lifestyle... its so wrong but the system allows them to claim, claim and claim and the punishment when they're found out is a joke

Quite a few people know how to fiddle the system and get away with it thats why. If I could get 26k on benefits then whats the point in working, I could quite happily sit on my butt all day for 26K rather than work my bits off in a stressful environment for a bloody sight lot less

The cap is on households rather than individuals. It's large families that will be affected & people living in London. You wouldn't want to be on £26k benefits because you'd never see most of it, it'd just be rent & your other living costs would be higher too, living in London.

Obviously it wont affect people 'on the fiddle', it's just another rule for them to break.

Another informative post Rupert Baehr (289) Thank You, if i have read and understood this correctly it says that it doesn't matter how much money a person gets statistics will be the same?

It depends what statistics you select. The average life expectancy is around 2 years shorter in the USA (78.1) than in the UK (80.1) or Germany (79.8 ).

The USA also has a large & widening 10 year gap (from a study in year 2000) in life expectancy between the poorest & richest counties. link

In the UK that difference in life expectancy isn't quite as bad: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10475835

Sure you can find some stats that look similar, if you choose carefully, but I know where I'd rather live. If I was a poor male living in the USA my life expectancy would be around 71.5 years, here it's 75.8 years.

I was shocked to see barefoot beggars when I first went to the USA, you just don't see that here.

Archived