Raising a Child as Gender Neutral

Yes of course all small toddlers do, but I was more thinking when they were at school, say 7 or 8......

At that age the child would just decide not to take the toy to school if they got a little grief off the other kids, but it probably wouldn’t stop them playing with it at home.

I would accept him and encourage him to explore his manliness as a normal cyber man. being a cyber man is not a choice though so don't be down on the cyber man life style.

Cybermen have got a bad rap. I blame the unchallenged prejudices of certain time lords. They come here pretending to save us from this menace and that, but it's all just a ruse to impress young Earth women and get them into the tardis.

Fair enough and you're right to a certain extent. However, perhaps your dad was right to stop you playing with dolls because he knew that such behaviour would make your life difficult, at school for example.

You will never know if his actions improved your life or made it worse. But I feel your life would have been much more difficult. Its a fact that playing with dolls, as a boy, would have resulted in you being bullied and your life made difficult. I'm not saying that this is right, but its a fact of life.

Your parents could have stood firm and allowed you to play with them, but in the long term wanted whats best for you. So in my opinion your dad was right and had your interests at heart...

My life at school was difficult- not cos I played with dolls, I didn't, that got knocked out of me way before I entered school. School life was difficult for me, like it is for many, because I had the ability early on to think for myself and make my own mind up- I always had a deep instinct that the sheep-like 'following the crowd' behaviour rife in our culture, was somewhat bizarre.

However, having worked in lots of schools since, I've also seen that there are many 'eccentric' children, who, due to their confidence, are quite capeable of dealing with any little bigots who attempt to critisise, for example, the way they dress, or the activites they are interested in.

And I've got no doubt whatsoever, that if a parent wants their child to grow up confident and self assured, then they don't start shouting at the rest of the family if they walk in and see something so harmless as a child playing with a doll.

But do you think this minor pass time and the joy he got from it would be of benefit, knowing all the misery at school he would get as a result?

I know he should be allowed to do what he wants, but in reality, he can't, and to encourage a unimportant passtime, which will ensure he suffers a great deal, is surely the wrong decision?

Minor??? You feel able to judge what a child gets from doing something they want to do?

The right decision is to let the child do what they want, as long as it's a harmless activity.

Ahhhh, so the parents have said they werent forcing it so you believe them?

Just like that??

Ah well, never mind.

No.

It was a conditional statement, the clues in the 'if'.

as the article says-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2090169/Sasha-Laxton-Gender-neutral-childs-reaction-mothers-questions-sex.html

if they were forcing it on Sasha, then, i would oppose it.

Just as I oppose those who force their gender strereotypes on their children, e.g. having a problem if their little boy likes pink.

I don't need to believe anything to make that statement, I'm saying that if...is the case, then...follows.

Minor??? You feel able to judge what a child gets from doing something they want to do?

The right decision is to let the child do what they want, as long as it's a harmless activity.

I'm sorry, playing with a doll was obviously very important to you.

I'm sorry, playing with a doll was obviously very important to you.

Are you suggesting then Frank, that boys should be discouraged from playing with dolls, or that girls should be taught to be pink and fluffy and 'ladylike'?

Archived