Raising a Child as Gender Neutral

Are you suggesting then Frank, that boys should be discouraged from playing with dolls, or that girls should be taught to be pink and fluffy and 'ladylike'?

Yes boys should be discouraged from playing with dolls after their toddler years have passed. Its for their own good.

I don't find butch women attractive, but if they want to be more masculine its up to them and none of my business...

Yes boys should be discouraged from playing with dolls after their toddler years have passed. Its for their own good.

I don't find butch women attractive, but if they want to be more masculine its up to them and none of my business...

Why should they be discouraged? Do men not have a nurturing side too?

What should be discouraged is any belittling of the opposite gender, whether it's men thinking it's funny to talk down to women or women who find it so amusing to talk about the general uselessness and ineptitude of men. I think this has a particularly bad effect on boys.

Why should they be discouraged? Do men not have a nurturing side too?

Because their life will be made a misery by other boys. Its not such a difficult thing to stop them doing..In the long run it'll be best for them.

Of course there's nothing wrong with it, I'm not saying there is, but unfortunately the world we live in is difficult enough without causing issues that will alienate them from their friends at school...

I was asking, not telling.

The clues in the question marks.

Then perhaps something like-

"do you believe the parents then?" (i.e. a straight question)

would be vastly preferable to

Ahhhh, so the parents have said they werent forcing it so you believe them?

Just like that??

Ah well, never mind.

with it's clearly accusative tone :)

Its quite amusing that some feel that if they choose to read the Guardian this, by default, means they are more intelligent.

This is not a proven fact....:hihi:

It's neither a proven assumption. Your statement is riddled with inferiority.

I think there is absolutely no way of testing this because it is impossible to remove all subliminal gender bias.

I still remember very vividly how sorry I felt for my primary school friends when I first started visiting their houses. From the way their fathers seemed to crumple into the nearest arm chair the moment they arrived home from work and required constant attending to, I assumed they must all be terribly unwell ...

That's gotta be Southy...today they don't work, unless you stay up till 4 in the morning awaiting their return.

Because their life will be made a misery by other boys. Its not such a difficult thing to stop them doing..In the long run it'll be best for them.

Of course there's nothing wrong with it, I'm not saying there is, but unfortunately the world we live in is difficult enough without causing issues that will alienate them from their friends at school...

That's the only problem in need of addressing here. Why don't you direct your critisisms to that acceptance of blatent bullying, rather than the potential victims who are doing nothing wrong.

After all, if children are taught in school that bullying individuals who make different choices is wrong, maybe the next generation will contain far fewer bigots than this one?

Then perhaps something like-

"do you believe the parents then?" (i.e. a straight question)

would be vastly preferable to

Who are you to tell me how to put things?

Its not my fault you jumped to (the wrong :P ) conclusions.

with it's clearly accusative tone :)

I disagree.

Archived