Raising a Child as Gender Neutral

I don't think it should be a child's responsibility to change the perceptions of society...

It isn't Frank, it's for adults to teach children that there's nothing wrong about boys playing with dolls or girls playing with 'boyish' toys.

Whatever could you object to in that?

It isn't Frank, it's for adults to teach children that there's nothing wrong about boys playing with dolls or girls playing with 'boyish' toys.

Whatever could you object to in that?

I don't object and have said so frequently. IMO it will make life difficult for the boy at school. That's all I'm saying. If society changes, bullying is stopped and people perceptions changed its just plain daft to make a lads life more difficult than it already is.

I don't know what goes off in the leafy areas of the city but around here the lads life would be difficult...

None of it's your business.

Someone else's child's toy preferences aren't your business.

And, if some parents choose not to pander to widespread silly prejudices about 'appropriate' colour or toy choices for their children, and, instead, let them decide for themselves, that is also none of your business.

Okay okay, don't throw your doll out of the pram....I'm only saying what I think will be best for the boy....I can't cure all the ills of society, banish bullying and change what's been expected of boys for hundreds of years. I'm just being logical.

Why should we allow the numbskulls to dictate and decide what are appropriate toys for boys and girls to play with? The fact that on this thread alone there are numerous cases of boys having played with dolls highlights how there is a desire for them to do so. Why should they have to either stop or do it in the closet because some idiot parents have brainwashed their kids into thinking that it is wrong and said children will bully those who have more progressive parents? I find it quite sickening.

Why should we allow the numbskulls to dictate and decide what are appropriate toys for boys and girls to play with? The fact that on this thread alone there are numerous cases of boys having played with dolls highlights how there is a desire for them to do so. Why should they have to either stop or do it in the closet because some idiot parents have brainwashed their kids into thinking that it is wrong and said children will bully those who have more progressive parents? I find it quite sickening.

And there is the problem. Unless you can change how the majority of parents and children think then its not really fair to expect children to change the accepted norm.

At the end of the day its a piece of plastic and not really that important..

If we look at it logically this is how I see it..

If boys play with dolls-

Positives - The boy will have a toy that he likes playing with.

Negatives - The boy will probably be alienated from other boys, made a figure of fun and will be bullied.

If a boy is advised not to play with dolls-

Positives - He will find his time at school less traumatic.

Negatives - He will have to settle for a teddy bear.

The argument isn't about what should be acceptable, but what is considered acceptable. To put a boy forward to change others perceptions is unfair on him.

And there is the problem. Unless you can change how the majority of parents and children think then its not really fair to expect children to change the accepted norm.

At the end of the day its a piece of plastic and not really that important..

Things will never change unless we challenge them.

Archived