Raising a Child as Gender Neutral

I'm a grandmother, over the years I've observed the differences. I had 2 sons first then a daughter, she did everything her brothers did, even climbed trees. With having both genders in the household they all had access to toys for both sexes, to be honest the toy used most in our household was lego. When our daughter was around eight something happened, she lost interest in doing things with her brothers and became more interested in pretty dresses etc, no big deal, that was bound to happen.

Now 2 of my 6 grandchildren were home schooled for awhile, their mother ( our daughter-in-law) believed her son and daughter shouldn't be treated differently from each other. This is the result, our grand-daughter is 22 and is still in University studying art, our grandson is 19 just starting College and taking a course in fire fighting, and he's also in the Navy reserves. So I've only got to study my own family to know that no matter how you try and influence them, what will be will be. May I also add I'm glad I'm female I enjoy being a girl. :D

Archived