Raising a Child as Gender Neutral

The parents of that 'gender neutral' kid who was in the media recently have decided what that childs upbringing will be like, just as those who follow the gender specific path do. They are experimenting with a child, wanting him to be 'different' for their own reasons and their own agenda ..... why ?

:loopy:

Who knows eh, maybe one day this planet will see 'alien' life form, not from another planet but something our 'wishy washy' types are wanting people to evolve into, shapeless, faceless, sexless, thoughtless creatures who are all totally equal in health, wealth and stature ...... just a thought :suspect:

In my experience it is impossible to bring a child up in a gender neutral way. All you can do is let them be themselves and not impose gender constraints on them. This child will at some point identify him/herself as a boy or girl, is my guess. There are far too many influences. I've seen young children eschew everything gender specific to their sex and embrace the behaviours and interests associated with the opposite sex, of their own volition without and parental steering. Equally, the reverse also happens, far more do than the former. Whether this is some form of early rebellion, the lure of forbidden fruits or personality is anyone's guess.

Dancing is different. A boy who can perform ballet can probably perform other dance types as well, which is pretty cool thing to be able to do. A boy with a doll will be seen, by society in general, as plain odd, a little weird and will not fit in. You could push the child to play with dolls if you want to but in my opinion the negatives will far outway the positives.

Incidentally, I'm not talking about toddlers, but more school age children. Would you really encourage an 11 year old boy to take a doll to school for the first time and not have any doubts?

In regards to the other points about being clever or thick. Children in this situation will not be bullied in the same way. They will, at least, have similar children with the same issue and will receive support from adults to combat this. Whereas a boy with a doll, will not. I'm not saying this is right, but its a fact.

Being thick or intelligent are also unchangable, whereas a doll can be thrown in a bin.

Not all boys grow up in a home with intelligent well adjusted people and in a neighbourhood with similar people. Many grow up on rough estates where a boy with a doll will be slaughtered. I'm just interested in the welfare of the child and not some trendy debate on gender.

Most boys have fond memories of their childhood toys. Indeed many save them. Imagine taking a new girlfriend home at the age of 18 and introducing her to a roomful of dolls, with frilly dresses and associated prams, brushes and bottles. The girl, in most instances, first thought will be, "ok we'll remain friends."

Errm.........if as an 11 year GIRL I'd taken dolls to school I'd have been mercilessly bullied for being immature!!! As an 11 year old even back in the 80's I was expected to behave like a young woman, not a little girl at that age. But that's another story.

I think Frank Sidney should look back to the 1950's or before women got the vote to think about how attitudes have drastically towards women in this time. Things that are perfectly normal and accepted nowadays (such as equal pay for men and women doing the same job) were once unthinkable. Equally some of the arguments in this thread could look very quaint to someone reading it in the future.

I would agree - to an extent - that actively encouraging a boy to play with dolls (for example) could cause bullying I really believe that a lot of parents enforce gender stereotypes on children by encouraging boys to behave like monkeys and their daughters to be ickle pink fairy princesses. Although there are always very 'girly' girls and hard, macho boys maybe most kids are naturally somewhere in between and they shouldn't be pushed towards their gender stereotype.

Errm.........if as an 11 year GIRL I'd taken dolls to school I'd have been mercilessly bullied for being immature!!! As an 11 year old even back in the 80's I was expected to behave like a young woman, not a little girl at that age. But that's another story.

I think Frank Sidney should look back to the 1950's or before women got the vote to think about how attitudes have drastically towards women in this time. Things that are perfectly normal and accepted nowadays (such as equal pay for men and women doing the same job) were once unthinkable. Equally some of the arguments in this thread could look very quaint to someone reading it in the future.

I would agree - to an extent - that actively encouraging a boy to play with dolls (for example) could cause bullying I really believe that a lot of parents enforce gender stereotypes on children by encouraging boys to behave like monkeys and their daughters to be ickle pink fairy princesses. Although there are always very 'girly' girls and hard, macho boys maybe most kids are naturally somewhere in between and they shouldn't be pushed towards their gender stereotype.

No you don't, the threads not about women's rights...I can't even remember mentioning the issue on this thread. I haven't a clue why you've tried to weave it into things I've posted about something completely different...

Archived