Raising a Child as Gender Neutral

So if Sasha wants to dress up in girls’ clothes then so be it. He has cars and Lego and he also has dolls. The girls’ clothes are fancy dress and for fun at home. We don’t make Sasha go out in girls’ clothes. We are not forcing it.” Beck – who writes a blog on feminist issues – insisted her son was a happy boy who enjoyed his life.

Thankfully in the video Sasha appears normal, the mother sounds a bit weird though she as some strange ideas, for some reason she thinks other parents wouldn't let a girl kick a football or let their son play dress up in girl’s cloths.

Oh dear...

If you raised a child as a pig he / she would quite happily push their nose about in the mud looking for food....:loopy::D

Have you ever stopped to think about it for longer than 30 seconds? It's really fascinating.

Gender, like sexuality, can be viewed as a spectrum rather than a binary. In fact it HAS to be viewed as a spectrum rather than a binary. Not only are there people whose sex isn't clear-cut - i.e. they are not either biologically male or female - but there are massive numbers of people across the world who play with their gender presentation. Think about drag queens, for example.

Have you ever stopped to think about it for longer than 30 seconds? It's really fascinating.

Gender, like sexuality, can be viewed as a spectrum rather than a binary. In fact it HAS to be viewed as a spectrum rather than a binary. Not only are there people whose sex isn't clear-cut - i.e. they are not either biologically male or female - but there are massive numbers of people across the world who play with their gender presentation. Think about drag queens, for example.

Jessica....that's for an adult to decide.

Think about drag queens, for example.

Drag Queens is performance art. It isn't quite relevant in this context, I feel. Drag queens know their gender, and they know their sexuality.

Transvestism is the enjoyment of wearing another genders' clothes. That is an issue of knowing ones gender but enjoying crossing that boundary, irrelevant of sexual orientation.

A child not being forced to stereotype their gender role is completely new. We don't have anything to compare it with.

Drag Queens is performance art. It isn't quite relevant in this context, I feel. Drag queens know their gender, and they know their sexuality.

Transvestism is the enjoyment of wearing another genders' clothes. That is an issue of knowing ones gender but enjoying crossing that boundary, irrelevant of sexual orientation.

A child not being forced to stereotype their gender role is completely new. We don't have anything to compare it with.

From what I have read she hasn’t done anything much different to other parents, she as allowed a boy to dress in girls cloths and play with dolls, Whoopi doo many parents wouldn't stop a boy dressing up in girls cloths and playing with dolls, they just wouldn’t make a big deal and fuss about it.

Jessica....that's for an adult to decide.

Did I suggest otherwise? I was just talking more broadly about gender. People often assume that biological females will be feminine and biological males will be masculine and it isn't necessarily the case.

But back on topic, it seems to me that what this couple were trying to do was lift the burden of gender expectation (and it really can be a burden, as any boy who loathes football and spends years being bullied about it in school might tell you) from their child when he was very young.

I'd rather not, if it's all the same.

Did I suggest otherwise? I was just talking more broadly about gender. People often assume that biological females will be feminine and biological males will be masculine and it isn't necessarily the case.

But back on topic, it seems to me that what this couple were trying to do was lift the burden of gender expectation (and it really can be a burden, as any boy who loathes football and spends years being bullied about it in school might tell you) from their child when he was very young.

Well, I can empathise with that - I loathed football (and still do). I much preferred rugby.

Archived