Raising a Child as Gender Neutral

It raises interesting questions about which behaviours are innate and which are learnt or acquired through social conditioning.

It's also quite interesting to see the different responses to boy and girls. I remember a particularly glaring example from an joint outing with several families. There were about a dozen children, ages 2-8. One of the activities was Archery. One of the children was a girl with short hair, in jeans and a T-Shirt, with a name that is not gender-specific. The instructor treated her as a boy. The boys were shown what to do, it was explained to them once, then they were allowed to get on with it. She enjoyed it hugely.

There were four other girls, all of them slightly older and taller, all of them clearly identifiable as girls. With them, the instructor spoke quite differently, pointed out how they might get hurt and basically pulling the bow for them rather than letting them try by themselves. None of them thought it was much fun.

You might not set out to raise your child in a gender-neutral way, but if you have a daughter, she will probably have way more independence as a child if some people think she is a boy.

It's also quite interesting to see the different responses to boy and girls. I remember a particularly glaring example from an joint outing with several families. There were about a dozen children, ages 2-8. One of the activities was Archery. One of the children was a girl with short hair, in jeans and a T-Shirt, with a name that is not gender-specific. The instructor treated her as a boy. The boys were shown what to do, it was explained to them once, then they were allowed to get on with it. She enjoyed it hugely.

There were four other girls, all of them slightly older and taller, all of them clearly identifiable as girls. With them, the instructor spoke quite differently, pointed out how they might get hurt and basically pulling the bow for them rather than letting them try by themselves. None of them thought it was much fun.

You might not set out to raise your child in a gender-neutral way, but if you have a daughter, she will probably have way more independence as a child if some people think she is a boy.

Perfect example. This kind of thing makes me feel quite cross and depressed, and it happens a lot.

People who deliberately raise their kids in a way that is obviously going to cause them problems of social adaptation are misguided, but they aren't nearly as ridiculous as the curtain twitching, right wing ideologues who seek to portray every crank and eccentric who happens to have left wing views, as a major threat to society.

In a country where thousands of children are abused on a daily basis, raising up a storm in a tea cup about the tiny minority who attempt to impose their cranky ideals on their kids says more about the twisted and obsessive Daily Mail types, who are always turning over every stone looking for some new subject to feed the addiction of their outrage junky readers.

I read the Mail. I aint no junky.

It's in all the papers,and on BBC news,so get a grip.

Perfect example. This kind of thing makes me feel quite cross and depressed, and it happens a lot.

I don't think there's anything wrong with treating boys and girls differently. In relation to the sporting aspect the male of the species are, undeniably, more talented. Its a fact...No doubt females are stronger in other aspects of life and these should be concentrated on. Instead of trying to do things that men excel at, badly...:D

I don't think there's anything wrong with treating boys and girls differently. In relation to the sporting aspect the male of the species are, undeniably, more talented. Its a fact...No doubt females are stronger in other aspects of life and these should be concentrated on. Instead of trying to do things that men excel at, badly...:D

Oh troll off, Frank. You don't even really believe that.

Oh troll off, Frank. You don't even really believe that.

Can you name one woman world champion that could beat the male world champion at the same sport?

Just look at the times for runners for example. Or why don't women compete with men at golf and tennis, or football. Its not a troll. Its a fact. Why can't you accept the fact. Women are better at some things, cooking and cleaning etc, but not sport..:D

Can you name one woman world champion that could beat the male world champion at the same sport?

Just look at the times for runners for example. Or why don't women compete with men at golf and tennis, or football. Its not a troll. Its a fact. Whay can you accept the fact. Women are better at some things, cooking and cleaning etc, but not sport..:D

Men are physically stronger than women, yes. That is true.

Women tend to compete against other women in sport, though.

So there is no reason why boys and girls should be treated any different when it comes to sport.

It is no fun writing out patently obvious stuff like this. It's not what passes for fun debate in my book. I'm being called a baby-murderer on another thread, can't we kick this one up a notch?

I read the Mail. I aint no junky.

It's in all the papers,and on BBC news,so get a grip.

I know that because I have read the thread. That is also why I know that the Daily Mail misconstrued the story whereas other publications tended to adopt a more neutral position by - shock horror - just reporting the facts!

The term I used was outrage junky, it doesn't imply you are a drug addict, but your sense of ill informed outrage is clearly in evidence just from that one hufty little post. Get a grip! :hihi:

Men are physically stronger than women, yes. That is true.

Women tend to compete against other women in sport, though.

So there is no reason why boys and girls should be treated any different when it comes to sport.

It is no fun writing out patently obvious stuff like this. It's not what passes for fun debate in my book. I'm being called a baby-murderer on another thread, can't we kick this one up a notch?

Baby murderer...God, what a shame the forum is infected with such attitudes, nut cases..

Anyway, to take this one up a notch..

Archived