Car crash advice - write off and claims.

Morning

My fella crashed his car in the early hours of Saturday morning out in Bamford and I have a couple of questions regarding the car itself.

As far as damage goes it was all to the front, and mainly to the left hand side. After the crash it ran fine, it didn't look like any engine damage, but it had a smashed windscreen, lost both wing mirrors, smashed left headlight, slightly crumpled bonnet on the left side, a fair bit of paint damage, and some intercooler damage. On this alone i'd probably expect the car to be repaired, but the worst bit is the part of the chassis that runs up the left hand side of the windscreen is warped as well. Not completely crumpled but fairly bent out of place.

I was just wondering if anyone knows whether this is likely to be written off. I know without pictures it would only be a guess but we won't find out until later in the week and are keen to be able to make some sort of plan as to what happens next in a worst case senario.

There were no other cars involved (there was a fallen tree on the road, he went straight through it) and he isn't hurt at all, (thank god). I'd say the car is probably worth about £12k now.

Also - I've been told that due to the tree being in the road, and no signs to indicate this, my fella could actually take a claim out against the Highway Agency/Council, but to me it sounds a little bit like clutching at straws. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Definitely sounds like a write off from your description I'm afraid. As for claiming, how could there always be a sign when the tree may have only just fell down say 2 minutes ago in the wind, come on you really are clutching at straws there Tess;)

I'm not clutching at straws - every other person seems to be though. Such a shame if they write it off, so much hard work went into it.

You could try and sue Mother nature but would probably lose due to driving too fast for the conditions.

I'm not clutching at straws - every other person seems to be though. Such a shame if they write it off, so much hard work went into it.

Firstly, glad the OH is ok, secondly, chassis damage will almost certainly result in it being written off.

Thirdly, if it is written off and your are going to lose money then try and sue the hell out of the council/highways.

Why should you and your partner be out of pocket for something that probably wasnt his fault.

Firstly, glad the OH is ok, secondly, chassis damage will almost certainly result in it being written off.

Thirdly, if it is written off and your are going to lose money then try and sue the hell out of the council/highways.

Why should you and your partner be out of pocket for something that probably wasnt his fault.

Playing devil's advocate here..how can running into a stationary object be anything other than the driver's fault? Do you expect the council to patrol all the roads all the time..?

Playing devil's advocate here..how can running into a stationary object be anything other than the driver's fault? Do you expect the council to patrol all the roads all the time..?

Not at all.

But lets say the ops partner was going round a blind bend.

Like myself a few weeks ago. On my way to mums, going round a blind bend and around 15mph and right on the corner was a tesco delivery van parked on the road, facing the wrong direction totaly blocking off one side.

I stopped with inches to spare and the conditions were good, it was daylight and this tool didnt think hed done a thing wrong.

Thankfully his bosses thought differently.

What im trying to say is the best and safest drivers in the world (im not one of the best, im mearly average and safe) do have unavoidable accidents.

Why should they foot the bill?

If the car is really worth 12k there is potentially a lot of room for repair before they write it off.

The chassis runs under the car, what you are describing sounds like a door pillar which can be replaced, even if the chassis is bent it can be re-jigged.

Has for the tree being on the road just think the next time you round a blind bend it could be a kid on a bike or a horse that’s on the road.

If the car is really worth 12k there is potentially a lot of room for repair before they write it off.

The chassis runs under the car, what you are describing sounds like a door pillar which can be replaced, even if the chassis is bent it can be re-jigged.

Has for the tree being on the road just think the next time you round a blind bend it could be a kid on a bike or a horse that’s on the road.

My bold, I didnt know they could still do that with the way cars a designed to deform these days.

And

Kids and horses dont usually cover the whole of the road though do they?

Well fat kids may but horses, never.

Kids and horses dont usually cover the whole of the road though do they?

Well fat kids may but horses, never.

Have you seen the size of an horse :hihi: add to that the fact that they have the habit of riding two abreast and you might as well build a brick wall across the road, then again you could always cross over to the wrong side of the road and take your luck with whatever is coming the other way.

Archived