Car crash advice - write off and claims.

Have you seen the size of an horse :hihi: add to that the fact that they have the habit of riding two abreast and you might as well build a brick wall across the road, then again you could always cross over to the wrong side of the road and take your luck with whatever is coming the other way.

Yeah, im married :(

But totaly agree with going onto the other side of the road being about luck.

When i came face to face with tesco's finest (not to me confused with M&S ) i was lucky that i didnt need to explore that option.

My drivers seat wasnt too lucky though:blush:

Playing devil's advocate here..how can running into a stationary object be anything other than the driver's fault? Do you expect the council to patrol all the roads all the time..?

If the council own the tree then they are responsible for maintaining it in a safe condition. That would include making sure that branches aren't rotting and likely to break off in high wind.

Claim through your own insurance, they will then decide whether it's worth pursuing the council or not.

If the cost of the repair is more than approx 8k then they'll declare it a write off.

But totaly agree with going onto the other side of the road being about luck.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic but that reminds me of when my son was learning, a car pulled out on him and he instinctively veered onto the other side of the road to avoid hitting them ……… luckily there was nothing in that lane.

Thanks all.

What happened was he went round a bend, it was raining, dark and generally miserable and he didn't see it until it was too late. It covered the majority of the road, but I think it was mainly branches off the main trunk otherwise it could have ended up much worse.

I feel ridiculous saying that the council are at fault - you can't really help when a tree is going to fall, especially at 5am, but at the same time - fella wasn't speeding, it was round a bend, and he had his lights on, he was doing everything right. I'm gutted for him, he's lost his NCB and his insurance has gone up (even on rubbish little cars) to £1,500 min. Before, he was paying £800 p.a on a 2 litre turbo!

Not at all.

But lets say the ops partner was going round a blind bend.

Like myself a few weeks ago. On my way to mums, going round a blind bend and around 15mph and right on the corner was a tesco delivery van parked on the road, facing the wrong direction totaly blocking off one side.

I stopped with inches to spare and the conditions were good, it was daylight and this tool didnt think hed done a thing wrong.

Thankfully his bosses thought differently.

What im trying to say is the best and safest drivers in the world (im not one of the best, im mearly average and safe) do have unavoidable accidents.

Why should they foot the bill?

There's a difference between someone parking badly and a tree falling over the road (in terms of negligence I mean)

Thanks all.

What happened was he went round a bend, it was raining, dark and generally miserable and he didn't see it until it was too late. It covered the majority of the road, but I think it was mainly branches off the main trunk otherwise it could have ended up much worse.

I feel ridiculous saying that the council are at fault - you can't really help when a tree is going to fall, especially at 5am, but at the same time - fella wasn't speeding, it was round a bend, and he had his lights on, he was doing everything right. I'm gutted for him, he's lost his NCB and his insurance has gone up (even on rubbish little cars) to £1,500 min. Before, he was paying £800 p.a on a 2 litre turbo!

Speculation on this forum about a car involved in an accident and it's worth are just poinless I'm afraid. You will just have to wait until the insurance assessor has submited his report and your insurance Co have got back to you.

As for a claim for a tree laid in the road, then run into by your hubby, anyones guess how it would turn out. I suppose a tree is big enough to see, and if road conditions were bad, well speed may be taken into account as well. Seems quite a bit of damage for someone "driving carefully" in bad road conditions. But as said previously, it's speculation at best.

Good luck, you may need it.

Angel.

Archived