Festivals 2012 Advice

Wanting some advice on summer festivals. I've never ever been to any festival before and it's something i really want to do. Purely for the experience.

To be honest im not a big fan of camping and i have heard some stories about how horrid it can be with 'toilets and rubbish'

Is it really bad?? What festivals are the best? Heard alot of people rate 'V Fest' 'Leeds Festival' etc

Id love to go to creamfields............

Isit worth the money (i find it quite expensive) Are there big queue's for stalls and things??

Just whats a festival like??

Yours Festival Virgin :)

Depends on what sort of think you like. I love festivals but tend to opt for the smaller ones. V, Reading, Leeds etc tend to be a massive rip off and full of idiots. The Big Chill used to be brilliant but that lost it's way and is now part of the evil that is festival Rebublic. If you want big name bands then you have to put up with the big festivals and all the crap that comes with it. Crap expensive food, crap toilets, ques, idiots, security, expensive drinks, constant searches to make sure you are not drinking your own drinks etc etc. Little friendly festivals all they way!

Wanting some advice on summer festivals. I've never ever been to any festival before and it's something i really want to do. Purely for the experience.

To be honest im not a big fan of camping and i have heard some stories about how horrid it can be with 'toilets and rubbish'

Is it really bad?? What festivals are the best? Heard alot of people rate 'V Fest' 'Leeds Festival' etc

Id love to go to creamfields............

Isit worth the money (i find it quite expensive) Are there big queue's for stalls and things??

Just whats a festival like??

Yours Festival Virgin :)

I've been to quite a few festivals and like you I do not like roughing it. For the last few years we took a large motorhome. You can plug them into the mains at most festivals, so you have flush toilet, shower, cooking facilities, security and dry beds.

You usually need to get booked in pretty early if you take a motorhome, but I wouldn't go any other way particularly if we were going to Leeds.

I've been to quite a few festivals and like you I do not like roughing it. For the last few years we took a large motorhome. You can plug them into the mains at most festivals, so you have flush toilet, shower, cooking facilities, security and dry beds.

You usually need to get booked in pretty early if you take a motorhome, but I wouldn't go any other way particularly if we were going to Leeds.

Why bother going to a festival? Camping, not washing, rolling around in mud or getting covered in dust and getting ****** for a few days etc is what festivals are all about.

Being old-fashioned I thought the main objective of going to festivals was to listen to some decent music, not to indulge in some nice middle-class conspicuous consumption.

The OP said they wanted to go to a festival but wanted to know what they are like. Shouldn't you find out what they're like and then decide if you want to go or not? Festivals these days are for people with money but no taste. Anyone who falls in that category will have a great time.

havent been to one since 2000 but im not a camping fan myself, the experience was worth it, i did glastonbury 4 times , the first thing is arrive a day before the festival starts or even earlier if possible, that way you wont be near the toilets with your tent, if money is no object borrow or hire a camper van/motorhome, park in the car park as usual and sleep in the van/home but you will miss some sights and half the fun is being near the camp fire with strangers having a laugh and a beer at 3 am :-)

Why not try the VIP options at some of the festivals - Sonisphere for example, the VIP own camping option is £100 more for the weekend, but you get room around your tent (you're squished in normal camping), you get freebies like programme, t-shirt etc, nicer toilets and showers, and very importantly you can park next to your tent.

I used it to introduce my mrs to festivals although I'd not go back now as VIP is so good :)

Being old-fashioned I thought the main objective of going to festivals was to listen to some decent music, not to indulge in some nice middle-class conspicuous consumption.

The OP said they wanted to go to a festival but wanted to know what they are like. Shouldn't you find out what they're like and then decide if you want to go or not? Festivals these days are for people with money but no taste. Anyone who falls in that category will have a great time.

I thought the OP was asking for advice from people who'd been to festivals, not a rant from a troll like you who clearly hasn't.

Archived