Re-Registering for Job Seekers Allowance

LeMaquis,

Thanks again for responding. As I mentioned, I stopped signing because I was attempting to start a business and at that time I was on the governments 'Work Programme'. If the DWP re-open my old claim will I have re-join the work programme? If the DWP decide not to re-open the old claim but instead decide that I have to start a new claim will I still need to re-join the 'Work Programme'?

Cheers

I have no idea. If it's a new claim you may be back to square one. Or not. All I can say is contact them and see what they say. It's best to get the ball rolling and appeal if you don't like the decision than wait. See if you can get some business advice off them or contact http://www.senta.co.uk/ (the website is under construction but it's got contact details). But stay signing on till you can pay yourself a wage. You can tell them what you're doing to set up a business. They'll not mind.

Make your claim here as soon as possible, or phone DWP if you don't fancy claiming online.

The biggest mistake people can make when it comes to benefits is asking for advice from their mates, people down the pub, or members of an online forum. They aren't the experts (apologies to anyone who has advised in this thread - I'm not having a go at you personally); you need to contact DWP asap.

LeMaquis, thanks again for responding. To be totally straight with you, I don't want to re-join the work programmme - its is so depressing and soul destroying. So if starting a new claim means that I don't have go back on Work Programme (you need to unemployed for a year before having to join the work programme) then its a hit I'm prepared to accept.

But as you mentioned, you're not familiar with the way it works.

Thanks anyway, maybe someone else will chime in.

Cheers mate

no sorry you are stuck with the work program, i had was signing then had job for a few months, but lost it and was put back onto the work program which i am on now, i agree its a total waste of time, but if the job centre says jump, you have to anwser, how high !. its the way things are.

Archived