Decent family pub / restaurant + parking near Bramall Lane

AYBABTU

Been asked by a business contact in Birmingham to recommend a decent family pub for food plus car parking near to Bramall Lane this Sat coming.

(or somewhere decent to eat close by and then a short car journey to an easy parking place)

Been a long time since I went down there for a match so am after some recommendations please...

Thought perhaps the Stag and then they could walk down to the lane...?

But not sure what the Stag is like these days.

I'd say Psalter Tavern off Ecclesall Road, 2 miles from the Lane.

Decent cheap food, family friendly but free of match day morons.

Parking aplenty, easy to get to and from.

Indeed, the only thing that might spoil the day is going to the match.

PS Forum bores: I neither own nor work here.

the best pub within walking distance of Brammal Lane imo is the Sheaf View (not Sheaf House) on Gleadless Road at Heeley. It is a traditional ale house with a big range of really well kept beers on handpump and a nice friendly atmosphere. It's a 10/15 minute walk from there to the ground and there's loads of free parking in that area. However...

it allows children only in the covered outside seating area and it doesn't do food, other than sandwiches and maybe a bit of pork pie. So they may have to settle for fish and chips if they went for that - and there are 2 good chippy's near the ground, Frydays on Shoreham street or A Salt and Battered on London Road.

The Prince of Wales at the top of Carterknowle Road is a good choice for food and is child friendly. From there it's maybe a 2 mile drive, about 10 mins, to the ground.

There's also a Wetherspoons (if you like that sort of thing, which I don't) called "Sheaf Island" at the bottom of Ecclesall Road (Wards old brewery area - near to Waitrose). That has the usual cheap food and drink and I think it will allow kids, providing they are eating.

the best pub within walking distance of Brammal Lane imo is the Sheaf View (not Sheaf House) on Gleadless Road at Heeley. It is a traditional ale house with a big range of really well kept beers on handpump and a nice friendly atmosphere. It's a 10/15 minute walk from there to the ground and there's loads of free parking in that area. However...

it allows children only in the covered outside seating area and it doesn't do food, other than sandwiches and maybe a bit of pork pie. So they may have to settle for fish and chips if they went for that - and there are 2 good chippy's near the ground, Frydays on Shoreham street or A Salt and Battered on London Road.

The Prince of Wales at the top of Carterknowle Road is a good choice for food and is child friendly. From there it's maybe a 2 mile drive, about 10 mins, to the ground.

There's also a Wetherspoons (if you like that sort of thing, which I don't) called "Sheaf Island" at the bottom of Ecclesall Road (Wards old brewery area - near to Waitrose). That has the usual cheap food and drink and I think it will allow kids, providing they are eating.

I didnt think Prince of Wales allowed children in?

It's not the usual Wetherspoon's though is it? At least it's not a rough looking place full of alkies like 90% of Wethers. And it's only 5 mins drive from Bramhall Lane (or God knows how long on a match day).

It's not the usual Wetherspoon's though is it? At least it's not a rough looking place full of alkies like 90% of Wethers. And it's only 5 mins drive from Bramhall Lane (or God knows how long on a match day).

It's a very attractive big pub in a good location near to the football ground swordfish - I'll give yer that.

I've only been in twice and that was weekend evenings when it was chok a blok with semi-naked girls on the Eccy Road trail. I didn't notice any alkies, or anything else really, my attention was taken.

I think Wetherspoons are FAKE real ale pubs - if you know what I mean? They set themselves up as if they are some real ale emporium with loads of beer pumps - then half the pumps aren't working and those that are have pretty ordinary mainstream stuff which isn't particularly well kept. In fact, it's frequently disgusting - although I suppose folks who aren't so familiar with real ale and what it should taste like might never know.

The Sheaf Island place was of that ilk when I visited. Loads of pumps down and what was served up was awful. Not kept at all well.

In that sense it was typical Wetherspoons to me.

I didnt think Prince of Wales allowed children in?

yep! they do. I took my kids in there one saturday lunchtime before the match and there were no questions asked. We weren't dining either. Mind you - they do sit quietly in a chair and not run around screaming and knocking things over. That might have something to do with it.

Archived