Exumation of woman starts at midnight. WHY??

I can't imagine anyone standing and gawping during the day, and besides, don't they put up those white tent thingies to stop prying eyes?

I can however see that if you had a funeral for a loved one on the day they dug someone up, I suppose that would be a little insensitive. But all you would see would be the 'tent' anyway, and that's presumably still up, the next day too?

they exhume coffins with JCB's, so your tent idea falls down there. personally I think you are over thinking this.

they exhume coffins with JCB's, so your tent idea falls down there. personally I think you are over thinking this.

Eh? I would have thought they would start with a machanised mini-digger, not a full blown JCB. I can't believe they dig the whole thing out with a JCB, that's crazy. So the tent thing would still be feasible

Eh? I would have thought they would start with a machanised mini-digger, not a full blown JCB. I can't believe they dig the whole thing out with a JCB, that's crazy. So the tent thing would still be feasible

If they used a JCB they'd end up destroying what they were looking for. They use a tent to protect the excavation from the elements and to keep out prying eyes. And they'll dig very carefully so as not to ruin anything they're looking for and to show respect to the dead.

The phrase is supposed to date back to the 1500's when there was shortage of burial grounds, coffins were dug up and the graves re-used. It was noted that 1 out of 25 dug up coffins had scratch marks on them suggesting that people had been buried alive.

They started the practice of tying a string to the deceased person's wrist attached to a bell above ground so that they could ring the bell to alert someone. A person had to sit by the grave hence the phrases- "graveyard shift", "dead ringer" and "saved by the bell".

0/3 I'm afraid.

graveyard shift is first recorded in the 19th Centuryand probably referred to the ambience of the early morning shift.

dead ringer derives from a term in horse racing, again first recorded in the 19th century. A ringer was a horse entered under the name of another horse, usually as part of a betting fraud. Dead is used in the sense of absolute or exact.

saved by the bell is a term from boxing, and simply refers to a boxer on the verge of beong knocked out being saved by the bell marking the end of the round.

In reply to the OP; summed up by discretion. It would be a little unfeeling to perform an exhumation whilst people were burying their loved ones or visiting their graves.

Exhumations in the UK are done as early in the morning as possible to ensure privacy for the deceased and their family. Apparently there is an odour given off even though the coffin is not opened at the grave.

A board is placed over the coffin before backfilling, a mini digger is used to get down to this board and then shovels are used. This is so that a grave can be opened so that another coffin can be placed in the same grave.

An environmental health person will be there to ensure that the deceased is treated with respect and there no cause for concern to the general public.

Surrounding grave stones are covered to prevent the spread of disease.

nothing sinister at all, just respect for the dead and what they may find in the hole after such a long period of time. After midnight there are less people around to stand and gawp.

And there is likely to be an 'unpleasant' odour around the exhumation that folk may find rather distasteful.

No-one wants a crowd at their exhumation, do they?

errrrrrrrrrrm dont think theyd be too bothered tbh

i thought that pete when i saw it ont he news the other day, why night?

if they dont want people to see then why not erect a screen or a tent like they do with forensic / murder investigations??

be a shock if they never told the family and they go to the grave the next morning to find soft earth on top of the grave

Archived