Would you like to be able to fire your MP

Well only if they didn't do their job, or broke the rules, or went back on their manifesto pledges and enough of your fellow constituents agreed of course.

Do you think MP's might listen to what their constituents want a bit more if we could give them the sack ?

After all if you didn't do your job then it's unlikely your boss would wait until five years after your hiring before selecting someone to replace you.

Well before the election the right to recall was a big issue and politicians were falling over themselves to promise it.

Well last Friday a bill to do this, although with severe limitations, failed to be debated for lack of time, it's almost as if they aren't keen on the idea now the elections over.

Plus the limitations put the right to oust an MP in the hands of parliamentary committees and the party whips, which is pretty much no change and if anything gives more power to the party whips rather than the people who elect politicians to office.

If you would like this right, email your MP, if you aren't bothered then don't, your choice.

Here's a link to make it easier, there's even a ready made letter all it needs is for you to send it or not http://action.unlockdemocracy.org.uk/page/speakout/demandrecall

I think it's a good idea myself so I've sent one, full in the knowledge that with my particular MP I'll be wasting my time as they'll follow party line no matter what, but at least they can't say that no one wants this.

no, because only tiny number of people would want to do this and of that number the majority will be embittered voters who support another candidate and would use it to force their undemocratic opinion on the majority. we already have the right to recall in parliament.

seriously, and this is a general comment here, did the tory voters moan this much after they lost in 1997? I don't remember them making much more than a whisper, but you labour lot don't shut up. do you realise how little minded and stupid you sound trying to find any way you can to remove or undermine the current democratically elected government. get a life before yours is over.

I am a strong supporter of introducing recall elections, although as you say the current proposals put way too much power into the hands of party whips, which means the whole thing could be used to enforce party displine even more and make MP's even less independent and more servile. As such current proposals need urgent reform.

I have previously written to my previous MP (Bob Russell in Colchester, who after initially dodging the question suddenly became very supportive when it became Lib Dem policy)

I have also written to my current MP on the subject, Natacha Engel. She opposes recall elections. She is also quite slow at replying to correspondance, where Bob Russell replied back very quickly.

I also asked a question about recall elections at a debate between the local candidates at the last general election. the 3 main parties candidates were all opposed, in spite of the fact that the policy was in all 3 main parties manifesto's. Only the UKIP candidate genuinely supported it, and he was a loony!

no, because only tiny number of people would want to do this and of that number the majority will be embittered voters who support another candidate and would use it to force their undemocratic opinion on the majority. we already have the right to recall in parliament.

seriously, and this is a general comment here, did the tory voters moan this much after they lost in 1997? I don't remember them making much more than a whisper, but you labour lot don't shut up. do you realise how little minded and stupid you sound trying to find any way you can to remove or undermine the current democratically elected government. get a life before yours is over.

A minor point but I was a supporter of the right to recall before the last election http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=549619 does that mean I supported the conservatives before the election and changed to labour afterwards ?

I don't believe I've ever mentioned who I vote for, and I have no intention of doing so as it's no one else's business.

Also rather than assuming that a tiny number of embittered voters will want this, I prefer to ask, if it does indeed turn out to be a tiny number then they won't get very far and nothing will happen

Though looking at the respective turn outs for the last couple of elections you could argue that a tiny number of embittered voters gave us the MP's we have now as well as the MP's we had before.

I want a fairer political system that answers to the voters and not to the party whip, lobbyists or big business, I believe this will help.

However, it would appear that you don't and that's fair enough, you are entitled to your viewpoint.

The electorate chose the MP. (Whatever the rights or wrongs of existing policy.)

We can hire or fire them come the next election.

If one can effectively fire them mid-term, then it's likely to be an angry few who become very vocal about a given issue, which forces this situation. Large numbers may well be quite happy, but are not "activists" for the want of a better word. So you end up with a tiny number of people who dictate who the MP is.

There are, as always, exceptions. For example in the case of an MP being convicted of a serious crime. But hopefully the MP's party would fire them anyway.

Well before the election the right to recall was a big issue and politicians were falling over themselves to promise it.

Could you substantiate that bit. Was the promise in any election manifesto? Did just certain MPs promise it. How many were elected on that promise?

I support the principle but it would have to be subject to certain criteria - what it is they've supposedly done wrong - and a certain sized vote to get rid of them. MPs often get elected on less than 40% of votes cast and so it would be easy to win a vote to get rid of someone if the majority oppose them from day one.

Archived