Wages just dont cut it anymore?

Makes me realise how lucky people were when I was a child.

No car to worry about, no central heating to pay for, no internet costs, no mobile phone costs,no expensive clothes costs as they were passed down,

no TV licence to pay as there was no TV.

No mortgage to pay just rent for a prefab, no expensive foreign holidays to worry about.

Also they had the joy of working 51/2 day week. My dad had the opportunity to get exercise walking to work when he didn't have the money for his bus fare.

I believe that is your finest post on this forum.

i only get £850 amonth

tell me how to budget better to find £500 extra

£350 rent, £100 bus fare, then theres over £100 council tax, just those 3 leave less than £500

Just remind us again how you spent the first 20 years or so of your working life, when it could have been spent building up a career and its attendant better salary.

I believe that is your finest post on this forum.

Thankyou.

I was also going to mention how they left school at 14 and were able to read, write and do mathematics and mental arithmetic excellently.

My father also had the opportunity to spend 4 years soldiering one of which gave him the excitement of being dive bombed and shelled for a year at Tobruk. He was lucky enough to be discharged to sort out his own health problems due to war service without anyone bothering him.

Luckily they didn't have any worries about rent as they lived with my mothers parents along with her brothers family whilst her husband was away soldiering and being wounded.

Wages may or may not have kept up with inflation over the last 10 years but that doesnt mean we arent a LOT worse off.

We're a lot worse off because one off costs like car insurance doubles. That could be £500 straight out of your disposable income you have to find. Not many people have £500 left over at the end of the average month.

Energy bills creep up and extra couple of hundred quid each year.

Some scrote kicks your wing mirror off. Thats £500

Petrol goes up. Extra £100

Train fares up 5% - extra £100

All these extra few hundred quids were what you enjoyed spending last year, but this year they aint there anymore.

Do you feel like things are getting tighter despite your earnings increasing each year / not having gone down? People are just about hanging on at the moment. Just wait untill the interest rates go up and your mortgage doubles. That will be when the next housing crisis starts as everybody downgrades.

We're doomed. DOOMED I TELL YOU :gag:

Whilst I agree it is becoming increasingly difficult to afford the finer things in life... £500 for a wing mirror, you're having a laugh surely? £10-£20 from the scrappy more like.

jb

£6.5k car insurance. Show me £10k of pre tax salary given to a man expected to drive for a living (even if only to commute) and I will cure unemployment!

He needs to shop around or change his car....ours cost less than £200 this year...

Makes me realise how lucky people were when I was a child.

No car to worry about, no central heating to pay for, no internet costs, no mobile phone costs,no expensive clothes costs as they were passed down,

no TV licence to pay as there was no TV.

No mortgage to pay just rent for a prefab, no expensive foreign holidays to worry about.

Also they had the joy of working 51/2 day week. My dad had the opportunity to get exercise walking to work when he didn't have the money for his bus fare.

How old are you Harvey? The 1st TV broadcast was in 1936 and we had a TV in 1953

Archived