6 months jail for juror who looked up the defendant on the internet

Yes she shouldn't have done it. Yes it was wrong. Yes she should be punished. Yes she was foolish. All of those things, but she shouldn't have her life ruined because of it.

Thats the usual defence for burglars,shoplifters and petty thugs as well,plus lots of serious criminals as well.

Oh dear, another of the hang em high brigade! :hihi::suspect:

No , another pragmatic and realistic member of the community.

The usual statement offered by solicitors prior to sentencing is based on the impact that imprisonment for the offence will have on the good name of the offender and his/her chances in society.

She was wrong she got done. Justice served. 3 months isn't that harsh for basically risking a mistrial and costing the taxpayer millions having to retry the case as it stands anyway.

I can't believe a university lecturer living and teaching in the UK for 21 years has a problem understanding English.

No , another pragmatic and realistic member of the community.

The usual statement offered by solicitors prior to sentencing is based on the impact that imprisonment for the offence will have on the good name of the offender and his/her chances in society.

She was wrong she got done. Justice served. 3 months isn't that harsh for basically risking a mistrial and costing the taxpayer millions having to retry the case as it stands anyway.

I can't believe a university lecturer living and teaching in the UK for 21 years has a problem understanding English.

I don't doubt your pragmatism, or being a realistic member of society. However, in this instance I think you're all overreacting.

It wasn't a high profile trial, and I suspect (although I can't say for definite) that it was NOT a multi-million pound trial. It was a trail of someone being done for assault. A petty criminal if you like. It didn't cost millions as you imply. She made the mistake of telling someone what she had done, and it has to be said, came clean and admitted it. It would have been very easy to lie and say she hadn't done it. Nobody witnessed her doing it. Nobody would have been any wiser. She realised her mistake, admitted it, and gets her life ruined as thanks for it.

Obviously I can't substantiate it. But of all the criminal trials up and down the country, I can't believe this is unique, and she should be punished so harshly. Sorry but that's my view.

Thats the usual defence for burglars,shoplifters and petty thugs as well,plus lots of serious criminals as well.
Seems to work well enough for them...and quite unlike for the generally law-abiding type (per this woman -quite clearly- save of course as to her misshap).

Easy target (to make an example of) for the judges. Is all.

Seems to work well enough for them...and quite unlike for the generally law-abiding type (per this woman -quite clearly- save of course as to her misshap).

Easy target (to make an example of) for the judges. Is all.

Thank you L00b :help:

this has been coming for a while. Judges have been moaning about it for years. They're concerned 'smart' self-important and vain jurors may be able to usurp their authority in the jury room. Except this particular 'smart' juror isn't so smart, after all. They've had their ass hauled off to jail for contempt. Correct sentence.

Archived