6 months jail for juror who looked up the defendant on the internet

I bet there are other jurors up and down the land that 'look people up' all of the time, but don't tell. When you're that much involved in something like a court case (I would imagine...I never done jury duty), I would have thought human nature would urge you to want to know more.

True, so perhaps the only alternative is for the courts not to reveal the names of anyone involved in a trial.

Does anybody think that the woman who ignored the judge's instruction and was jailed for contempt would do it again?

If you were selected for jury duty and you were aware of what happened to this woman, would it make you less likely to ignore the instructions of the judge?

The declared purposes of imprisonment include:

(a) to deter the offender from repeating the crime

(b) to deter others from committing this crime.

In this case, the sentence probably has acted (and probably will act) as a deterrent.

There is no shortage of complaints on this forum that 'prison doesn't work.'

Now we've got a case where it appears prison does work.

So there are complaints about that.

Does anybody think that the woman who ignored the judge's instruction and was jailed for contempt would do it again?

If you were selected for jury duty and you were aware of what happened to this woman, would it make you less likely to ignore the instructions of the judge?

The declared purposes of imprisonment include:

(a) to deter the offender from repeating the crime

(b) to deter others from committing this crime.

In this case, the sentence probably has acted (and probably will act) as a deterrent.

There is no shortage of complaints on this forum that 'prison doesn't work.'

Now we've got a case where it appears prison does work.

So there are complaints about that.

Only me ...Or so it feels!

Archived