Where do i stand??

Where do I stand, I dropped my car off at a garage this morning to be check over as its got a knocking on the front corner, so he calls me and tells me whats up. I go up at dinner to collect my car and they say that will be £15 please.

Now when I dropped my car off there was no mention of it costing me to have a look. Am I in the wrong for challenging it or would you expect to pay even if not told?

Please discuss thanks.

I go up at dinner to collect my car and they say that will be £15 please.

Now when I dropped my car off there was no mention of it costing me to have a look. Am I in the wrong for challenging it or would you expect to pay even if not told?

This is interesting, if you're interested enough to read it.

Contractual Obligations v. The Meaning of Justice

An excerpt from Harvard Professor Michael J. Sandel’s Justice: What’s the Right Thing to Do?

Benefit or Consent? Sam’s Mobile Auto Repair

…Many years ago, when I was a graduate student, I drove across the country with some friends. We stopped at a rest stop in Hammond, Indiana, and went into a convenience store. When we returned to our car, it wouldn’t start. None of us knew much about car repair. As we wondered what to do, a van pulled up beside us. On the side was a sign that said, “Sam’s Mobile Repair Van.” Out of the van came a man, presumably Sam.

He approached us and asked if he could help. “Here’s how I work,” he explained. “I charge fifty dollars an hour. If I fix your car in five minutes, you will owe me fifty dollars. If I work on your car for an hour and can’t fix it, you will still owe me fifty dollars.”

“What are the odds you’ll be able to fix the car?” I asked. He didn’t answer me directly, but started poking around under the steering column. I was unsure what to do. I looked to my friends to see what they thought. After a short time, the man emerged from under the steering column and said, “Well, there’s nothing wrong with the ignition system, but you still have forty-five minutes left. Do you want me to look under the hood?”

“Wait a minute,” I said. “I haven’t hired you. We haven’t made any agreement.” The man became very angry and said, “Do you mean to say that if I had fixed your car just now while I was looking under the steering column you wouldn’t have paid me?”

I said, “That’s a different question.”

I didn’t go into the distinction between consent-based and benefit-based obligations. Somehow I don’t think it would have helped. But the contretemps with Sam the repairman highlights a common confusion about consent. Sam believed that if he had fixed my car while he was poking around, I would have owed him fifty dollars. I agree. But the reason I would have owed him the money is that he could have performed a benefit—namely, fixing my car. He inferred that, because I would have owed him, I must (implicitly) have agreed to hire him. But this inference is a mistake. It wrongly assumes that wherever there is an obligation, there must have been an agreement—some act of consent. It overlooks the possibility that obligation can arise without consent. If Sam had fixed my car, I would have owed him in the name of reciprocity. Simply thanking him and driving off would have been unfair. But this doesn’t imply that I hired him.

The repair would cost double what i can get it done for elsewhere and the police wasn't intrested as it was a civil matter not criminal.

Surely you didn’t expect them to do the “groundwork” for free and then you take it away to look for the cheapest price armed with the information that they have provided.

Archived