Where do i stand??

They should have informed you if there was a charge before hand.

Did they?

Also, where was it?

No names (im not sure thats allowed) but i fell for something similar at a garage in killermarsh a while back. He never mentioned a charge until i went back to collect my car.

What makes it worse is that i told him what was wrong with the car (wheel bearing) and i just wanted a price to fix it, he said "leave it with me and ill sort it" and when i got back he said there was an inspection fee of £20.

I asked him what he thought was wrong with it and he said "yeah, its your wheel bearing, 20".

I thought he must have fixed it but no, it was just for looking.

Surely they can't look at a problem and make up the price for the service afterwards?

No but they can charge for diagnostic work …… go to a dealer and get ready for a shock …….. gone are the days when you could get a mechanic to listen to it or take it for a spin and give you his opinion.

You will be met by a receptionist that will say you have to book it in and that’s going to cost you ( think of a number and put a nought on the end), traditional mechanics are worth their weight in gold.

They spent time on it to diagnose the problem & tell you what the problem was. As you left it with them all day I'll guess it wasn't just a quick look.

They should've told you how much it was going to cost to do that. They made a mistake. They still did work for you (diagnosing the problem), they have a business to run & bills to pay. £15 probably isn't such a bad price. You should pay, in my opinion, it isn't worth arguing over.

If you're unhappy with it then remember to ask for the price before you leave your car at a garage next time & also ask them to call you to confirm any work that they think needs doing. Then there shouldn't be any confusion.

They spent time on it to diagnose the problem & tell you what the problem was. As you left it with them all day I'll guess it wasn't just a quick look.

They should've told you how much it was going to cost to do that. They made a mistake. They still did work for you (diagnosing the problem), they have a business to run & bills to pay. £15 probably isn't such a bad price. You should pay, in my opinion, it isn't worth arguing over.

If you're unhappy with it then remember to ask for the price before you leave your car at a garage next time & also ask them to call you to confirm any work that they think needs doing. Then there shouldn't be any confusion.

He says he spent 20 mins checking all suspension with a bar etc. And its in

S20 but not naming as thats not allowed.

oh that's unlike the police to not do their job.

if the car has not been returned to you its been stolen. this may be a civil matter, but they have no right to hold your property. they can invoice you for the work.

The repair would cost double what i can get it done for elsewhere and the police wasn't intrested as it was a civil matter not criminal.

It's theft if he refuses to give you your car back.

He's free to pursue the civil matter of his invoice in small claims court, but he has no right to keep your car.

You could start an unrelated thread telling us about your day and where you took your car for a problem.

For example I used C&C cars in Nottingham today, the service was good, although I don't like it when they send a car that smells of cigarettes.

Archived