Where do i stand??

Where do I stand, I dropped my car off at a garage this morning to be check over as its got a knocking on the front corner, so he calls me and tells me whats up. I go up at dinner to collect my car and they say that will be £15 please.

Now when I dropped my car off there was no mention of it costing me to have a look. Am I in the wrong for challenging it or would you expect to pay even if not told?

Please discuss thanks.

If there was no mention of any chrage at your initial meeting (?:suspect:), you are within your rights to charge them for the time that you have been without your vehicle.

Playing devil's advocate here. You take your motor to a garage for the chappy to find a fault if there is one. He spends half an hour finding it, You expect the fault finding to be "free"

As he waves you off, as another guy comes in with the same idea, but a different "fault". Its found after half an hour, he expects it done for free.

Then the garage would learn from their first mistake and agree a price for looking at the vehicle. It's not rocket science.

Playing devil's advocate here. You take your motor to a garage for the chappy to find a fault if there is one. He spends half an hour finding it, You expect the fault finding to be "free"

As he waves you off, as another guy comes in with the same idea, but a different "fault". Its found after half an hour, he expects it done for free.

As he waves this "customer" off another pulls up, with the same idea again.

Get the drift, by the end of the day, our garage man has earned NOWT thanks to numpties who want jobs done for nothing.

I would have paid the £15 and thought it a job well done.

Angel.

The garage is free to tell each customer that there will be a charge. If they don't then it's their problem isn't it, not the customers.

If you're lucky. Peugeot like to hook it up to their diagnostics equipment, whether you want it or not, and that's £84 please.

That’s my point and the OP went to the police over £15 :hihi:

I can remember taking my car in because the electric window didn’t work, I was charged 1/2hr labour for them to tell me it needs a new part which would have to be ordered and I would need to book it in again.

You have to :hihi: but when you think about it they had to take the door panel off, see what was wrong and then but it back together again, perhaps I should have gone to the police and told them I was done.

Did you seriously expect the Police to deal with this?

What would be their input?

They should have informed the garage that to refuse to return the keys to a car is theft and that they would be arrested shortly if they didn't turn them over.

That is their job, to prosecute crimes like theft.

That’s my point and the OP went to the police over £15 :hihi:

No, he went to the police over the theft of his car.

I can remember taking my car in because the electric window didn’t work, I was charged 1/2hr labour for them to tell me it needs a new part which would have to be ordered and I would need to book it in again.

You have to :hihi: but when you think about it they had to take the door panel off, see what was wrong and then but it back together again, perhaps I should have gone to the police and told them I was done.

Did they not advise you in advance that you would be charged?

The garage is free to tell each customer that there will be a charge. If they don't then it's their problem isn't it, not the customers.

According to the AA it's not - if no price is discussed the garage are entitled to charge the going rate for the work. In this case inspection.

"If no price is quoted, the garage can charge you a 'reasonable' price for all work properly performed. What is reasonable is a question of fact, and a court would decide the question by reference to the work done, market rates, and any previous dealings"

directly from the AA.

Archived