Where do i stand??

That may well be correct (although whether inspection is work I'm not sure).

It doesn't entitle them to keep the car due to non payment of a £15 bill though. They should release the car (otherwise it's theft) and chase the bill through the courts.

They should have informed the garage that to refuse to return the keys to a car is theft and that they would be arrested shortly if they didn't turn them over.

That is their job, to prosecute crimes like theft.

Look at it from the Garages point of view.

They carried out investigative work on a problem. Diagnosed said problem and gave an estimate of the cost.

Just because the OP thought the estimate was too high doesn't mean that he shouldn't pay for the investigative work.

The OP refused initially to pay the bill. The garage refused to hand over the keys until the bill was settled.

Yes the garage could have mentioned that it would in cost a small amount but the OP should have asked if he would be charged.

They should have informed the garage that to refuse to return the keys to a car is theft and that they would be arrested shortly if they didn't turn them over.

Grow up. Their job is to film drivel like Police Interceptors. We should look after ourselves nowadays, these chuffs won't do it.

Isn't that the CPS job...

Look at it from the Garages point of view.

They carried out investigative work on a problem. Diagnosed said problem and gave an estimate of the cost.

Just because the OP thought the estimate was too high doesn't mean that he shouldn't pay for the investigative work.

The OP refused initially to pay the bill. The garage refused to hand over the keys until the bill was settled.

Yes the garage could have mentioned that it would in cost a small amount but the OP should have asked if he would be charged.

The garage was breaking the law by refusing to return the car. There is no other point of view to consider, it was theft.

The legal avenue for the garage is small claims court if the bill isn't paid.

Yeah, I didn't want to have to write out

"That is their job, to arrest people for probable breaches of criminal law and to prepare a file for the CPS to consider prosecution".

But now you made me.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a pedant too :P

The garage was breaking the law by refusing to return the car. There is no other point of view to consider, it was theft.

A garage that has repaired your car has what is known as a 'lien'. This is the right to keep the car until payment has been made for the work done.

If you remove your car from the garage without authorisation you risk not only civil proceedings but also (except in Scotland and Northern Ireland) criminal prosecution.

The only alternative open to you, apart from legal proceedings or leaving your car while any dispute is sorted out, is to pay the amount demanded, marking the invoice as 'paid under protest'.

source: https://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/can-the-garage-retain-my-car.html

When were you admitted as a Solicitor ?

Yeah, I didn't want to have to write out

"That is their job, to arrest people for probable breaches of criminal law and to prepare a file for the CPS to consider prosecution".

But now you made me.

Yeah ? Not strictly speaking a Term of Art. :hihi:

Archived