Where do i stand??

By asking the garage to have a look at the car, the OP has verbally agreed a contract to have the car inspected.

The garage is perfectly within their rights to charge for an inspection/ diagnosis.

The garage can legally keep the car until the bill has been paid.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/can-the-garage-retain-my-car.html

:thumbsup:

I can see that and yoy can see that, but some can`t :D

By asking the garage to have a look at the car, the OP has verbally agreed a contract to have the car inspected.

The garage is perfectly within their rights to charge for an inspection/ diagnosis.

Maybe, although that there will be a charge should be made clear in advance.

The garage can legally keep the car until the bill has been paid.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/can-the-garage-retain-my-car.html

Well, you learn something new every day.

Case closed.

Thats not what the AA says.

As for a contract. That has to be agreed by both parties?

If you google "motor garage lien" you can find better legal explanations than from the AA which is specifically talking about repair.

It's dodgy ground to not discuss the price in advance though.

If you google "motor garage lien" you can find better legal explanations than from the AA which is specifically talking about repair.

It's dodgy ground to not discuss the price in advance though.

True.

I never leave my car with anyone who wants to charge me to look at it.

If they dont quote for free then i go to somewhere that does.

Well the car is now fixed :D After taking my car to another garage it turned out that what the garage who charged me 15 quid told me was completely wrong!

It was something completely different, so not only did they charge me with-out informing me 1st, they also diagnosed the wrong problem which makes me think they didn't look at it at all :suspect:

Archived