Where do i stand??

Where do I stand, I dropped my car off at a garage this morning to be check over as its got a knocking on the front corner, so he calls me and tells me whats up. I go up at dinner to collect my car and they say that will be £15 please.

Now when I dropped my car off there was no mention of it costing me to have a look. Am I in the wrong for challenging it or would you expect to pay even if not told?

Please discuss thanks.

MOST garages (inedependant, not franchise dealerships!) would look into a knocking noise for free, HOWEVER...

1) You did agree for him to look at it, which is work (labour time)

2) £15 isn't a lot when it comes to safety.

Personally I'd just accept it and find for a garage that will have a look for free next time.

True.

I never leave my car with anyone who wants to charge me to look at it.

If they dont quote for free then i go to somewhere that does.

Wouldn't that depend on what the fault was....some problems can be easy to diagnose..some may take a lot of work to sort out..eg a funny grinding noise from the gearbox..how would you knwo what it was without stripping it down? Would you expect that for free? A qoute on something like that could be way out withour proper inspection..

Archived