Dog owners, control your pets

When I was 12 I was posting neighbourhood watch leaflets though our neighbours letterboxes and next door but ones dog bit me. I had to have ten stitches, four in two fingers, two in another and it was agony. I still didn't stay away from that dig when I saw it and it's owners, to me it didn't seem like it had done anything wrong but my parents wrote letter after letter of complaint and were in the phone to the police or the RSPCA if the poor thing so much as barked near them. Completely fruitless efforts thankfully but as a parent myself now I do understand why they were so angry. I can appreciate that dogs get excited and jump up at people but that's an owners responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen because not everyone is so at ease around pets.

Runners and cyclists should take care when approaching dogs and be considerate when passing by slowing down or walking to minimise any reaction. The owner can then see you are not comfortable and should reciprocate by restraining the dog.

The owners of the land you run or cycle on will have public access rules with some areas covered by permits like British Waterways

Yes it could be worse, your dog could jump up at the wrong person someday and you, as the owner could find yourself reported to the police for possessing a dangerous animal. If your dog were to jump up at me this is exactly what would happen. Worse still, my son like to have a run around the park splashing in puddles and collecting leaves.

Do you not think your'e over reacting a little butterball? we're not talking about dogs attacking people, a dog jumping up at someone hardly renders it a dangerous animal does it? it may well be poorly trained and over excited, but i dont think you'd really have anything to report to the police for it jumping up at you to be honest.

We enjoy watching the doggies (but we don't touch them unless their owner says its ok) and both my babies squeal with delight watching the dogs chase after balls etc. but what if, one day my son happens to 'startle' a dog with his running? What if the dog jumps up at him as one did at OP? Do you dog owners have any idea of the hell that would reign down on you then? I think it's better to be safe than sorry because I know what loving creatures dogs can be tk their owners and it would be tragic for them to be taken away from their owner over something as trivial as keeping them on a leash so they can't pose any kind of threat, however small, to people, especially children. I think OP was very polite and justified in their request.

Then the owner would no doubt feel the wraith of your annoyance (rightly so, i speak as a parent of 3 young children). I totally agree that dogs should NEVER jump up at anyone, and if it has tendency to do so, then it needs training and keeping on a lead in puplic area's until it can be controlled. I own a young giddy labrabor he has been trained not to jump up and will not so much as approach people without my say so.

Now forgive me if im wrong here, but you sound like you really like dogs but understand very little about them. Dogs that do jump up are more than likely just giddy kippers that want to say "hello" the chances of them actually wanting to savage your child is very slim. I have taught all 3 of my children NEVER to even make eye contact with any strange dog, they (including my 2 year old) will just stand there calmly arms by their sides giving the dog no attention at all until the owners tells them its ok to do so, even then they know to check with me first ;).

Lets get something straight, dogs are animals, and so they are inferior to humans. So keep them on a lead and out of the way.

Inferior in what way?

Given that we rely on their senses in so many ways i'd put them above us in many respects. You forget that the reason man and dog formed a partnership in the first place was that we both had something to offer each other. There's not been another animal that has been smart enough to recognise what WE can do for them, pretty astute move on the dogs part.

I kinda agree with both sides to this.

I have a dog agressive dog and a little puppy who loves everyone, my dog agressive dog is NEVER off the lead but i am trying to teach my young pup the recall so he is hardly ever on the lead...

Anyway, i was out with the pup in the woods the other day and because he just loves everyone it never occured to me to put him on leash as people walked past (he either ignores them of goes for a fuss which most people like).

I saw a woman with a buggy and thought nothing of it, what i did not see was a little girl toddling at the back of the buggy.

As they got closer my puppy saw the child before i did and went for fuss, unfortunately in his fussiness he knocked her over and i was mortified, the mother was very understanding but it taught me that NOT EVERYONE likes to be fussed and not everyone likes dogs and although I know my puppy would not hurt anyone, THEY don't.

He is on a leash the whole time now :)

Archived