Dog owners, control your pets

I kinda agree with both sides to this.

I have a dog agressive dog and a little puppy who loves everyone, my dog agressive dog is NEVER off the lead but i am trying to teach my young pup the recall so he is hardly ever on the lead...

Anyway, i was out with the pup in the woods the other day and because he just loves everyone it never occured to me to put him on leash as people walked past (he either ignores them of goes for a fuss which most people like).

I saw a woman with a buggy and thought nothing of it, what i did not see was a little girl toddling at the back of the buggy.

As they got closer my puppy saw the child before i did and went for fuss, unfortunately in his fussiness he knocked her over and i was mortified, the mother was very understanding but it taught me that NOT EVERYONE likes to be fussed and not everyone likes dogs and although I know my puppy would not hurt anyone, THEY don't.

He is on a leash the whole time now :)

I understand why you would put him on the leash all the time now but it does seem a little upsetting and could result in your puppy becoming dog aggressive too. My dog is very over friendly and when I see people coming I don't know, I put her back on the lead. The need for this is getting a lot less now as she is learning to not go up to people. Part of the reason she jumps up at people is when I tried to train her not to do it when she was a small puppy people would say it's ok and fuss her. The same people now complain as she is too big now, she reaches my shoulders with her front paws. I agree with the op, the owners should be more aware of their surroundings if their dog is likely to jump up, so they can see the runner before their dog and get it back to them with a treat but I also think dogs need to be off leash sometimes to get a good run, energetic dogs cannot get enough exercise on leash unless you are out walking for hours.

I put mine on her lead around anyone that might be too exciting like a jogger, cyclist, horserider or child. Adults walking past I just make her close heel which she'll do no probs. Either which way she's always called back to me, because I know she's excitable and over-friendly at times and I wouldn't want anyone to be scared of her or worse accuse her of something or even hurt her.

It is good for a jogger coming up behind to call out though as sometimes you can't hear them. Also appreciate when cyclists ring their bell to let you know they're coming, very helpful. Really if everyone is considerate of others then there shouldn't be a problem.

I'd just like to ask dog owners, most of whom are responsible, to either stop their dog crapping on the grass verge outside my house or, as most do, pick it up and bin it. I live on High Storrs Crescent and if I catch you leaving it.........grrrrrr!!

I'd just like to ask dog owners, most of whom are responsible, to either stop their dog crapping on the grass verge outside my house or, as most do, pick it up and bin it. I live on High Storrs Crescent and if I catch you leaving it.........grrrrrr!!

I would like to ask all dog owners to do the same where ever their dog does it's business as they give the rest of us a bad name!!!

I was out running in graves park the other day and avery bouncy collie was trying to "round me up" thinking I might be a sheep! :hihi:

Was very cute!

Can see both sides, myself it dosn't bother me at all, I either give em a stroke or a rub and carry on or if they look a bit grumpy then just ignore them and keep going, but I suppose if you are scared of dogs it might be hard to do that. Maybe just try and give the off lead dogs a wide berth if it upsets you?

OP needs to accept that dog owner are never wrong and that everyone else should sort their lives out in a manner that doesn't inconvenience them.

Yet wait! What's this i read, dog owners in agreement with the OP, heaven forbid has the world gone barmy!

I kinda agree with both sides to this.

I have a dog agressive dog and a little puppy who loves everyone, my dog agressive dog is NEVER off the lead but i am trying to teach my young pup the recall so he is hardly ever on the lead...

Anyway, i was out with the pup in the woods the other day and because he just loves everyone it never occured to me to put him on leash as people walked past (he either ignores them of goes for a fuss which most people like).

I saw a woman with a buggy and thought nothing of it, what i did not see was a little girl toddling at the back of the buggy.

As they got closer my puppy saw the child before i did and went for fuss, unfortunately in his fussiness he knocked her over and i was mortified, the mother was very understanding but it taught me that NOT EVERYONE likes to be fussed and not everyone likes dogs and although I know my puppy would not hurt anyone, THEY don't.

He is on a leash the whole time now :)

I don't think you should be proud of that.

Yes it could be worse, your dog could jump up at the wrong person someday and you, as the owner could find yourself reported to the police for possessing a dangerous animal. If your dog were to jump up at me this is exactly what would happen. Worse still, my son like to have a run around the park splashing in puddles and collecting leaves. We enjoy watching the doggies (but we don't touch them unless their owner says its ok) and both my babies squeal with delight watching the dogs chase after balls etc. but what if, one day my son happens to 'startle' a dog with his running? What if the dog jumps up at him as one did at OP? Do you dog owners have any idea of the hell that would reign down on you then? I think it's better to be safe than sorry because I know what loving creatures dogs can be tk their owners and it would be tragic for them to be taken away from their owner over something as trivial as keeping them on a leash so they can't pose any kind of threat, however small, to people, especially children. I think OP was very polite and justified in their request.

I'd love to hear that phone call.

You: I'd like to report a dangerous dog.

Police: What happened sir?

You: It jumped up at me, and my coat got a dirty footprint on it

Police: Yes? And then it tried to bite you? Did you require hospital treatment?

You: No, that was it, it just jumped up. It wandered off as I was clearly not in the mood for playing with a dog.

Police: I see, Sir, perhaps you should stop wasting my time and get a life.

Archived