Dog owners, control your pets

I went running whilst on holiday in Cyprus. Within the space of a 5k dog I was chased (seriously) by at least 3 dogs and nearly bitten once.

The only reason I wasn't bitten was that they only chase you about 20 metres from 'their' spot. Bloody dangerous though, but a very quick 5k.

Dog owners usually know the temprament of their pet, and responsible owners will keep their dog on a lead if neccessary. Personally, my own dog stays on a lead now, after he started a fight on two seperate occasions. He still wants to run though, so we compromise and have him on a 15ft lead, so he can still enjoy a good run, but we can get control back if another dog appears, or he expresses a bit too much interest in people.

If the OP regularly experiences dogs jumping up at them, then I would say that they are too close to the animal to start with. A dog will hardly - if ever - "go for" someone without provocation, whether that is realised or intended. Perhaps your jogging attire causes the dogs to be attracted to you? Nothing more appealing to a dog than a bright bouncing object, which is what a jogger would appear to be if wearing bright yellow's as most seem to.

I kinda agree with both sides to this.

I have a dog agressive dog and a little puppy who loves everyone, my dog agressive dog is NEVER off the lead but i am trying to teach my young pup the recall so he is hardly ever on the lead...

Anyway, i was out with the pup in the woods the other day and because he just loves everyone it never occured to me to put him on leash as people walked past (he either ignores them of goes for a fuss which most people like).

I saw a woman with a buggy and thought nothing of it, what i did not see was a little girl toddling at the back of the buggy.

As they got closer my puppy saw the child before i did and went for fuss, unfortunately in his fussiness he knocked her over and i was mortified, the mother was very understanding but it taught me that NOT EVERYONE likes to be fussed and not everyone likes dogs and although I know my puppy would not hurt anyone, THEY don't.

He is on a leash the whole time now :)

I think you're a very responsible dog owner, and I wish there were more people like you. :)

Dogs running loose is one of my pet peeves. I love dogs, I'm a dog owner myself but this is something that still irks me no end.

My father in law is one of the worst offenders. He lets his dog out of the car and Fido invariably takes off like a shot. Dad runs around like a fool, yelling the dog's name, waving the leash and chasing him. In the meantime, the dog is wagging his tail, bounding into traffic and keeping just ahead of his pursuers, thoroughly enjoying the game.

Our dog is dog aggressive, and we always walk her on a leash. We have all but had to stop frequenting the park next to our house because of other dogs running loose, despite leash laws in public parks. We even had one man when cautioned that our dog had an attitude problem tell us, "well, keep her away from my dog!" Ok. How are we supposed to do that, seeing as ours is already on a leash and yours isn't?

If your dog is trained to come when called no matter if they see a cat, a jogger or kid on a skateboard? God bless you and I hope you never have a problem.

We once had an incident with a neighbor where our leashed 30 lb. corgi mix was attacked by but somehow managed to beat the crap out of their unleashed shepherd/husky mix. :confused:

He came back a week later with a $1,000 vet bill and a lecture for us about how well his dog minded and how much time he spent working with his dog. Things got ugly and we finally just shrugged and said, "so sue us." He never did and I know he consulted an attorney who told him he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Can you point out everywhere in my post where i have said i am proud?

Well you seem to have gone from having a healthy common sense attitude to training your dog well, to an irrational, paranoid attitude based on a non event (unless you missed something out of the story).

A dog is only under control if it's on a lead, so there is no reason why a dog should be off the lead in a public place.

And if a dog jumps up at you, that's a sign of aggression so effectively it is a dog attack. All dogs can bite, not just the dangerous breeds like staffies. Any dog owner who allows their dog to jump up at a stranger should be charged with assault.

A dog is only under control if it's on a lead, so there is no reason why a dog should be off the lead in a public place.

And if a dog jumps up at you, that's a sign of aggression so effectively it is a dog attack. All dogs can bite, not just the dangerous breeds like staffies. Any dog owner who allows their dog to jump up at a stranger should be charged with assault.

A child is only under control if it's on reins, so there is no reason why a child should be off the reins in a public place.

And if a child speaks to you, that's a sign of aggression so effectively it is a child attack. All children can talk, not just the dangerous breeds like staffies. Any child owner who allows their child to talk to a stranger should be charged with assault.

....the dangerous breeds like staffies......

Staffies aren't dangerous breeds.

You don't have to have a special license to own a Satffie

You don't have to keep a Staffie on a muzzle when out and about

Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as a "dangerous breed".

A child is only under control if it's on reins, so there is no reason why a child should be off the reins in a public place.

And if a child speaks to you, that's a sign of aggression so effectively it is a child attack. All children can talk, not just the dangerous breeds like staffies. Any child owner who allows their child to talk to a stranger should be charged with assault.

That's a very silly analogy. We don't read daily reports on the news of children attacking people in parks, do we?

If someone came up to you in a public place, lunged at you, grabbed hold of you and started screaming in your face you wouldn't stand for it, so why should you if they let their dog do the equivalent?

Archived