Dog owners, control your pets

He's never going to be able to run around properly is he if he's always on the lead.

I dispute this as well. A dog has more to gain from interaction than simply running around and this can be achieved in an enclosed area. Yes they need exercise but this can be controlled exercise. Two of mine will never be off lead not because they are a danger to people but more to themselves. I have a harness that clips to a sprung bar on a bike, they enjoy the chance to stride out which is ideal.

If there's a good reason for it, then fair enough. But to confine a dog to a 15m lead for the rest of it's life because it once knocked over a child due to be clumsy seems pretty harsh.

I didn't claim that there wasn't something to gain from interaction, are you claiming though that dogs don't need or desire to run?

How does a lead stop a dog running?

Maybe you should read the thread? 30mph, 100 metres in around 5 seconds.

Are leads 100 metres long? Or do you think a dog can run like that in a small circle maybe?

The only way a dog is under control is if it's on a lead, so I don't see why they should ever be off a lead in a public place.

I disagree, in fact I think you're completely wrong.

It's all about showing consideration to others, something too many dog owners don't seem to be bothered about.

I'm happy to show consideration for others, it's not a problem for me when I walk my parents dog as he's completely uninterested in other people (unless they had a frisby maybe) and will obey his recall even when he's seen another dog.

I think his welfare and well being is more important than pandering to the paranoia of random strangers though.

Maybe you should read the thread? 30mph, 100 metres in around 5 seconds.

Are leads 100 metres long? Or do you think a dog can run like that in a small circle maybe?

I disagree, in fact I think you're completely wrong.

I'm happy to show consideration for others, it's not a problem for me when I walk my parents dog as he's completely uninterested in other people (unless they had a frisby maybe) and will obey his recall even when he's seen another dog.

I think his welfare and well being is more important than pandering to the paranoia of random strangers though.

I see, so anyone who wants to walk in the park in peace without being attacked by out of control dogs is paranoid then?

Were the family whose 6 year old was savaged by a staffy last weekend just being paranoid?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16685424

No, not wanting to be attacked by dogs is perfectly normal. It's a desire I share myself.

Thinking that every dog off the lead is out of control and might attack you though is paranoid.

The fact that there are dog attacks isn't something I'm disputing. Your assertion that all dogs off the lead are by definition out of control is what I'm disputing, specifically as I've stated my parents dog is not and so your claim that he should stay on the lead all the time is based on paranoia and should be ignored.

How often are you personally attacked by all these out of control dogs?

The fact that there are dog attacks isn't something I'm disputing. Your assertion that all dogs off the lead are by definition out of control is what I'm disputing, specifically as I've stated my parents dog is not and so your claim that he should stay on the lead all the time is based on paranoia and should be ignored.

As someone else said earlier on this thread

"Fenton, Fenton, FENTON". "Oh Jesus -----"

:rolleyes:

If there's a good reason for it, then fair enough. But to confine a dog to a 15m lead for the rest of it's life because it once knocked over a child due to be clumsy seems pretty harsh.

I didn't claim that there wasn't something to gain from interaction, are you claiming though that dogs don't need or desire to run?

I think perhaps that maybe you should get a bit more knowledge on giant breed dogs :)

They have to carry a large body mass on long legs and anyone who allows them to bound about unchecked are opening themselves up for all manner of problems.

Giant breed dogs do not have the same agility as some of the more sturdier dogs and can easily pull a muscle or strain the joints in their clumsiness and haste to get around.

You may find that allowing your dog to bound about like a nutter is absolutely fine but please do not keep referring to me as a paranoid person for wanting to keep my large dog under control.

I am pretty certain you would be the fist in line complaining if 12 stone of slobber, legs and teeth came running up to you unchecked in a pubic park.

He has plenty of room and freedom on his leash and i have the knowledge of knowing that he will never cause upset again by unwanted attention at people.

If people want to come fuss him then at least the have the choice to be able to do that, if he was not on the leash and went up to them that choice is taken away.

I am a responsible dog owner and am happy with my way of doing things...paranoid or not!

It does appear harsh and it's possible that with further training the dog could be more responsive to command and so do away with the lead but a lot of owners react by over reaction and i'm not saying that this is the case, but it gives them peace of mind.

Dogs enjoy running and chasing of course they do all i'm saying is that it can be a controlled affair. I go out early morning, admittedly they're linked to a bike but it doesn't prevent them picking up pace when a rabbit or squirrel comes into view, I don't discourage it. They will trot on for mile after mile, eyes alert and ears pricked so I assume they are having fun. I'd love to let them off but they are both oblivious to danger and totally ignore boundaries.

It does appear harsh and it's possible that with further training the dog could be more responsive to command and so do away with the lead but a lot of owners react by over reaction and i'm not saying that this is the case, but it gives them peace of mind.

It's still a puppy and still in the training phase, definitely an over reaction I'd say.

Dogs enjoy running and chasing of course they do all i'm saying is that it can be a controlled affair. I go out early morning, admittedly they're linked to a bike but it doesn't prevent them picking up pace when a rabbit or squirrel comes into view, I don't discourage it. They will trot on for mile after mile, eyes alert and ears pricked so I assume they are having fun. I'd love to let them off but they are both oblivious to danger and totally ignore boundaries.

Fair enough, you've done what you can to ensure their enjoyment and safety.

I don't think I'd want to be on that bike if a squirrel ran across at 90 degrees though!

We're not convinced that my parents dog would remember some barbed wire in one of the places we walk. So in the dark in that place he stays on the lead, that's purely for his safety. If we see another dog that we don't know we recall him and put him on the lead until it's gone, it's easier than recalling him after he spots it and reduces the potential that he'll go over to play and ignore us.

The idea that he might be dangerous to a person is completely laughable though, which is why I react strongly to people who suggest that all dogs should be on a lead all the time.

I think perhaps that maybe you should get a bit more knowledge on giant breed dogs :)

They have to carry a large body mass on long legs and anyone who allows them to bound about unchecked are opening themselves up for all manner of problems.

Giant breed dogs do not have the same agility as some of the more sturdier dogs and can easily pull a muscle or strain the joints in their clumsiness and haste to get around.

You may find that allowing your dog to bound about like a nutter is absolutely fine but please do not keep referring to me as a paranoid person for wanting to keep my large dog under control.

I didn't.

I referred to people who thought that every dog not on a lead was likely to attack them that way.

I am pretty certain you would be the fist in line complaining if 12 stone of slobber, legs and teeth came running up to you unchecked in a pubic park.

I can assure you that I wouldn't.

He has plenty of room and freedom on his leash and i have the knowledge of knowing that he will never cause upset again by unwanted attention at people.

You weren't worried about his joints and muscle strains before, so that's not the reason for the lead. This is. He once knocked over a child because you were still training him in recall and he didn't listen that time.

If people want to come fuss him then at least the have the choice to be able to do that, if he was not on the leash and went up to them that choice is taken away.

I am a responsible dog owner and am happy with my way of doing things...paranoid or not!

I don't think you're paranoid, I didn't say that.

I think you might have overreacted to the knocking over incident.

Archived