Prescription Exemption

At one time (not that long ago) all prescriptions were free. Prescription charges were introduced because the NHS did not have the money to pay for everything.

Some asthmatics recover. Diabetics (other than those with gestational diabetes) do not recover.

Some asthmatics need medication often; others need medication infrequently. Diabetics who are using insulin or other medications need those meds every day.

An untreated asthmatic may die. An untreated diabetic will die.

At one time (not that long ago) all prescriptions were free. Prescription charges were introduced because the NHS did not have the money to pay for everything.

Some asthmatics recover. Diabetics do not recover.

Some asthmatics need medication often; others need medication infrequently. Diabetics who are using insulin or other medications need those meds every day.

Excellent response. :hihi:

Some asthmatics recover. Diabetics do not recover.

Obviously, if the asthma goes away then the person's exemption should be taken away, as it would be if you had cancer but had gotten the all clear - you would no longer need cancer/asthma medication so this is not an issue.

There are different degrees of asthma. I am referring to the asthma in which medication is taken every day, and which would result in death if said medication was not taken. How are these sufferers in less need of free prescriptions than diabetics?

If you examine the potential for further ailments linked to an illness - Graves Disease for instance. The ongoing prescription charges for conditions related to the ailment is massive hence the option of free prescriptions.

Although asthma is a terrible ailment i don't believe it causes any other issues.

As a type 1 diabetic I personally am pleased I dont have to pay for my perscriptions, it's not only the insulin, you have to take it to account all the other stuff i.e. needles injecting pens, blood testing kits, I thinks thats also the reson why we dont pay.

That said I personally would have no objection to paying for perscriptions for any illness not related to diabetes!

Some asthmatics recover. Diabetics (other than those with gestational diabetes) do not recover.

I think you will find that ultimately both will die.

Archived