Prescription Exemption

In support of the OP I found a quote from Ashma Uk (I think)

Quote: Quotes

"We are disappointed that the Coalition Government has announced free prescription charges for people with long-term conditions in England will not be taken forward at this time. We know that many people with asthma struggle to pay for their medicines, and some have to choose not to get some of their prescriptions because of the cost."

Asthma UK - 2010

Not that I entirely agree with him. But when you're paying £7.20 per item or whatever it is this week, I would imagine that it does come to frightful decisions of what not to have cos you can't afford it.

I have known times when I've been to the doctors and been given a prescription, only to have to hang onto it until I got paid!

Can't you ask for a longer prescription? 3 months supply instead of one for example?

no, i'm afraid not. you can get 3 prescriptions from the doc but you cant get them all together from the chemist, only one lot per month to stop you taking an overdose.

i am diabetic and take half a dozen different tablets which i would not take if i had to pay for them, especially as i hate taking medicines anyway.

alas, there will never be a cure whilst big pharma is making a killing out of killing us and the nhs.

If I had to pay for more than one item per month, I'd simply get a pre-payment certificate; £10.40 a month.

My personal view is that all prescriptions should be free like in other parts of the UK. Can't see it happening myself though.

Roughly the same number of women in the UK have endometriosis as diabetes. I'm one of them. It's a chronic, painful condition that can go on for decades (I'm 35, had it for years and there's no chance of the menopause just yet!) and sufferers are not exempt from paying for prescriptions (painkillers, anti-inflammatories, post-op antibiotics, hormone treatments, all vital and necessary to live a normal life).

Pre-payment is the only option for me.

...There are different degrees of asthma. I am referring to the asthma in which medication is taken every day, and which would result in death if said medication was not taken. How are these sufferers in less need of free prescriptions than diabetics?

How indeed? - I've no experience of making decisions about who should receive what medical treatment and at what cost, but somebody has that job.

The NHS doesn't have the money to treat all diseases (and indeed, spends vast sums of money treating things which are not illnesses at all - but there would be an outcry if they stopped!)

About 35 years ago I was told that if somebody aged under 7 or somebody aged over 50 had renal failure, then that person was probably going to be allowed to die. There were insufficient donor organs and insufficient dialysis units to treat all patients suffering from renal failure.

If you take a number of medications (And if you do not get them at no cost) is there a sort of pre-payment scheme which reduces the cost? (I seem to remember my brother had something like that some years ago.)

The NHS doesn't have the money to treat all diseases (and indeed, spends vast sums of money treating things which are not illnesses at all - but there would be an outcry if they stopped!)

If you take a number of medications (And if you do not get them at no cost) is there a sort of pre-payment scheme which reduces the cost? (I seem to remember my brother had something like that some years ago.)

you can get a prepayment card. it cost a little over 10 quid per month direct debit. you can order online.

of course gender reassignments (sex changes) and breast implants etc., are a more important use of resources to the nhs than treating life threatening illnesses.

n.i.c.e. (national institute for clinical executions) want everyone on the cheapest medication possible regardless of whether it works or not.

allowing ill people to die is all part of helping to balance the books for the health service.

i worry that the number of people who die in hospital at weekends is fast approaching genocide proportions.

how long before assisted suicide becomes a service offered by the nhs?

Archived