Prescription Exemption

A small study, certainly, but a big improvement. - Not to be sneezed at, I'd say.

"Testing the participants after physical activity, the researchers found that those on the high-salt diet experienced a 27% reduction in lung function, compared to a fall of only 8% in those eating the low-sodium diet. As a drop of up to 10% in lung function following exercise is considered normal, the team concluded that the low-salt diet had all but eliminated the exercise-induced symptoms." (my emphasis)

My prescriptions are written/renewed annually. One 3-month issue and 3 refills. (If something changes, I go to the doctor and get the prescription altered.)

The prescription is entered into a computer and the pill robot fills it. If I want a renewal, I phone the pill robot, enter the prescription number and pick it up the next day. (I go to a drive up window and am given a brown paper bag. A bit like Burger King, but you don't get any ketchup - nor do you get fries with it.)

Good Robot!

We have similar robots where I live, our ones must be more advanced than yours, ours are programmed to be rude, nosy and condescending whilst incorrectly filling our prescriptions. It take some skill to get it wrong every time, when ever I have to collect from there I'm always reminded of Les Dawson and his piano skills :hihi: very highly trained are our pharmacy staff :thumbsup:

A small study, certainly, but a big improvement. - Not to be sneezed at, I'd say.

"Testing the participants after physical activity, the researchers found that those on the high-salt diet experienced a 27% reduction in lung function, compared to a fall of only 8% in those eating the low-sodium diet. As a drop of up to 10% in lung function following exercise is considered normal, the team concluded that the low-salt diet had all but eliminated the exercise-induced symptoms." (my emphasis)

Teams "concluding" anything after such a small-scale trial raises some warning flags for me, I'm afraid. If people want to try a low-salt diet to see if it helps their asthma, fair enough, it's a free country, but I'd be wary of any kind of miracle cure based on such a sample size :)

There has been a Cochrane review (Ram FS, Ardern KD. Dietary salt reduction or exclusion for allergic asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; 3: CD000436) of research on dietary sodium in the diet of patients with asthma and it was decided that it was not possible to conclude whether dietary sodium reduction is beneficial as a treatment for asthma.

We have similar robots where I live, our ones must be more advanced than yours, ours are programmed to be rude, nosy and condescending whilst incorrectly filling our prescriptions. It take some skill to get it wrong every time, when ever I have to collect from there I'm always reminded of Les Dawson and his piano skills :hihi: very highly trained are our pharmacy staff :thumbsup:

is another guy.

Lolli pop: Well seriously reducing sodium dramatically reduced my own breathing problems, as well as many other health problems. That's a small study of n=1 so wouldn't impress you...(o:

As the popular saying goes, anecdote is not data :)

I'm not trying to get at you and it's great if it worked for you (it's irrelevant if I'm "impressed" or not, no?), but the evidence base is very mixed, particularly for female asthmatics.

Cutting down on processed, over-salted food and living more healthily in general has got to be good advice for asthmatics as it is for anyone with a chronic condition though.

'...there will never be a cure whilst big pharma is making a killing out of killing us and the nhs...' Do you really think somebody is sitting on a cure for diabetes? (You have been taking your meds, I assume? - This isn't an example of hyper-glycaemic reasoning, is it? ;))

Not only that, but given that diabetes is a metabolic dysfunction and like all other metabolic dysfunctions has an hereditary element, then if more diabetics live long enough to breed, there will potentially be even more diabetic patients to cure in the future!:hihi:

firstly, a potential cure was discovered at newcastle uni where diabetics on a restricted diet became free of diabetes......of course the results were poo-pooed because there is no money for big pharma in such a simple cure.

secondly, none of my parents, grandparents or great grandparents had diabetes, nor have any of my children, some in their 30's. so hardly hereditary. as for metabolic..... the latest thinking suggested diabetes and other diseases may be caused by a virus or bacteria. however, the newcastle study suggested that reduction of fats around the pancreas etc., allowed for the recovery of insulin production.

it was also noticed (about 10 years ago) that diabetics who had part of their small intestine removed had their blood sugar levels return to normal.

so, food for thought here. at least researchers are now thinking outside of what they learned in college about how these diseases develop and progress.

more work needs to be done, especially with regards to the dope we pump into our animals and poisons we spray on our food.

I have to take medications for a heart condition which include beta blockers and warfarin to mention a couple and without these i am a prime candidate for a stroke/heart attack/pe etc i was off work sick and in receipt of ssp but had to pay for these medications 5 different in total.

I've often asked myself this question, I take a large dose of thyroid tablets every day, I will be on them for life, so I get my prescriptions for free, not only the thyroxine, but every other tablet or cream I may need, yet people with heart problems have to pay I'm led to believe. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the free drugs, just don't understand how serious medical conditions are put into a priority pot. (so to speak)

Archived