Prescription Exemption

I have been unable to find the original scholarly article, but this newspaper report, and several other media reports of the same research, contains this paragraph:

The study of 20,000 six and seven-year-olds, published in the medical journal Epidemiology, confirmed a strong link with asthma and obesity, but found that salt was the biggest risk. Those with the highest intake were two and a half times more likely to develop asthma.

It amazes me, that the headline stresses the television-viewing risk, despite the research finding that salt was the biggest risk.

It amazes me, that the headline stresses the television-viewing risk, despite the research finding that salt was the biggest risk.

It didn't. It found that excessive intake of salt was the biggest risk. Stripping out the words "excessive intake" is likely to cause diabetics to get even more ill from sodium deficiency.

I have been unable to find the original scholarly article, but this newspaper report, and several other media reports of the same research, contains this paragraph:

The study of 20,000 six and seven-year-olds, published in the medical journal Epidemiology, confirmed a strong link with asthma and obesity, but found that salt was the biggest risk. Those with the highest intake were two and a half times more likely to develop asthma.

We investigated 20,016 children, aged 6-7 years, who were enrolled in a population-based study. Parents completed standardized questionnaires.

(The paper cited is Wheeze and asthma in children: associations with body mass index, sports, television viewing, and diet, Corbo et al 2008)

It's on PubMed if you want to read the original paper. It appears to be a rather subjective paper (i.e based on parental response).

A 2011 Cochrane review (Pogson Z, McKeever T. Dietary sodium manipulation and asthma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, CD000436) found that:

A review of the current literature suggests that reduction in the amount of dietary sodium consumed has no significant effect on the symptoms of asthma but may be associated with improvements in some lung function measurements in exercise-induced asthma.

It didn't. It found that excessive intake of salt was the biggest risk. Stripping out the words "excessive intake" is likely to cause diabetics to get even more ill from sodium deficiency.

The words 'excessive intake' are your words. They are not in the article.

Do you have the slightest evidence for your claim that reducing salt intake is " likely to cause diabetics to get even more ill from sodium deficiency." People with diabetes are recommended to reduce salt intake. Sodium deficiency is rare and is usually caused severe diarrhoea or by drinking too much water.

Good grief! - I'm suggesting that eating less salt is helpful for people with asthma: I'm not suggesting eliminating every possible scrap of avoidable salt!

I do not understand why you are so hostile to eating less salt. Eating less salt is recommended by practically every health agency. They do not say eat less salt but not if you have diabetes. People with diabetes are recommended to eat less salt.

Do you have the slightest evidence for your claim that reducing salt intake is " likely to cause diabetics to get even more ill from sodium deficiency."

If I had actually claimed that, you'd be entitled to ask.

Good grief! - I'm suggesting that eating less salt is helpful for people with asthma: I'm not suggesting eliminating every possible scrap of avoidable salt![/quotE]

Actually yes, you are suggesting exactly that, unless you specify less than what. What you should be suggesting is that diabetics - and everyone else on the planet - keeps to the recommended daily intake. A blanket statement of "eat less salt" is more dangerous than not if it includes people who already do keep to it.

I suggest you take the matter up with the Government and the NHS. Eat less salt is the advice they are giving. Check it out.

I'll not contribute further to this thread.

As an asthmatic, I've never been advised to eat less salt.

The overall scientific opinion appears to be that a low sodium diet for asthmatics who are otherwise healthy (i.e not obese) has no demonstrable benefit.

Eating healthily is good for everyone; that includes eating salt in moderation.

I also think what Rupert says is about right. How long ago is "not that long ago". I cannot ever remember all scrips being free.:huh:

:hihi: Wife went in chemist at firthpark handed prescription over counter :hihi: When it was ready they handed it over counter she got money out to pay staff looked bemused and served someone else:hihi: Seems nobody has ever paid in there :hihi: Staff could not understand why some one would as they had never come across situation before :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived