There, Their, They're ..

A report in one of today's papers states that 1 in 5 school kids don't know the difference between the words: there, their, & they're.

People seem to be of mixed opinion in their suggested causes for this:

- teachers not enforcing grammar, as in the past

- the Curriculum, for not insisting on the above

- parents not teaching their kids language skills

- many UK citizens not having English as their first language

- limited text / twitter-speak becoming the norm

- people of today generally regarding it as not important

Any thoughts?

:huh:

A report in one of today's papers states that 1 in 5 school kids don't know the difference between the words: there, their, & they're.

- teachers not enforcing grammar, as in the past

- the Curriculum, for not insisting on the above

Any thoughts?

What is the historical data on whether children can discern the difference betweenthere, their, and they're? Without this it's hard to judge if children are actually getting better or worse at understanding the difference.

I think text speak is making a whole generation lazy in the use of correct , grammer and spelling. When I send a text message I never shorten words like later to l8er and I use commas, full stops and correct punctuation. I know I am from a generation that was taught this as a matter of course at school and that it just isn't done now. Teachers say they don't have the time to correct spelling and punctuation and as long as the content is there it is fine.

When I get messages from my grandchildren via text or facebook I often have to ask for the meaning of some of the abbreviations they use. The last one was tbh which is to be honest. I know it makes it quicker for them to text their friends but I dread to think what cv's will look like in a few years time.

- teachers not enforcing grammar, as in the past- the Curriculum, for not insisting on the above

Any thoughts?

I wonder if the teachers no?

...Any thoughts?

Presumably those children would be amongst the 2 in 5 (or more) who will leave school without having passed 'GCSE English Language at Grade C or above.'

Which newspaper was it, by the way? (Do you have a link?)

Was it one of those newspapers which are renowned for spelling, syntax and grammar?:hihi:

Archived