There, Their, They're ..

Sometimes it's down to ignorance, sometimes it's just a slip of the mind. Often there's no easy way to tell the difference. And even once you think you've mastered the basics and can be proud of your written English, rest assured that there are grammar and usage experts out there who can demonstrate very easily that what you've written is the linguistic equivalent of a bird dumping on someone's head.

No point fretting too much about it. I'm mellowing on this in my old age.

I agree that their should be more done to educate the kids of today. I concur with the OP and blame they're parents and teachers for there failures.

It's a very sad situation :(

Irony's lost on you innit? :D

In both of the above bolds, you mean their.

I think text speak is making a whole generation lazy in the use of correct , grammer and spelling. When I send a text message I never shorten words like later to l8er and I use commas, full stops and correct punctuation. I know I am from a generation that was taught this as a matter of course at school and that it just isn't done now. Teachers say they don't have the time to correct spelling and punctuation and as long as the content is there it is fine.

When I get messages from my grandchildren via text or facebook I often have to ask for the meaning of some of the abbreviations they use. The last one was tbh which is to be honest. I know it makes it quicker for them to text their friends but I dread to think what cv's will look like in a few years time.

Doesn't that always happen :hihi::hihi:

Archived