There, Their, They're ..

Do I need to learn it? I didn't think my spelling and grammar was all that bad! Yep, I'm guilty as anyone else with the odd 'typo' and colloquialism (not sure that's spelt right..eeek).

Anyway my command of the English language is leagues ahead of some people I know.

'Leagues ahead' doesn't really help; it might be just the Isthmian League Division 23 (North).

Hardly! It's not the most rivetting subject, lets face it. If I wanted an English grammar lesson or spelling lesson I'd have asked my sister who teaches it!

It's no good knowing who teaches it if you aren't willing to learn.

Do I need to learn it? I didn't think my spelling and grammar was all that bad!

Your English is fine - it was a reference to the fact that the first of your posts quoted suggests that you are going to ask your sister the name of the person who teaches English grammar.

It would be more correctly written 'If I had wanted an English grammar lesson, I'd have asked my sister, who teaches it' Or something like that.

<I think the rod for my own back is now complete. Do you're worst>

Does it annoy anyone else when people use 'of' instead of 'have'? As in "I couldn't of done that"?

Oh yes, that's actually even more annoying than the your/you're thing! :rant:

And it's almost always done by people who are old enough to know better.

Oh yes, that's actually even more annoying than the your/you're thing! :rant:

And it's almost always done by people who are old enough to know better.

I dunno, people need to lighten up, I tend to type really phonetically when on message boards, I guess it goes with a whole online persona type of thing. I mean the amount of sheffielders who type rate, rayt, reet, etc. instead of right, gives a bit of character.

So long as you do actually know the appropriate times to use it I don't see the issue.

This is part of the English Curriculum and in my school taught and retaught often by different teachers, but some kids just don't get it, or remember it, or are too idle to use it.

A lot don't think it's important as they can be understood whichever way they write it.

Not important until they apply for a job that is...

This is part of the English Curriculum and in my school taught and retaught often by different teachers, but some kids just don't get it, or remember it, or are too idle to use it.

A lot don't think it's important as they can be understood whichever way they write it.

Not important until they apply for a job that is...

I have just looked through my CV and their, they're, or there, doesn't appear once. Maybe I'm doing it wrong :(

Archived