There, Their, They're ..

Oh yes, that's actually even more annoying than the your/you're thing! :rant:

And it's almost always done by people who are old enough to know better.

I'm not sure why age makes a difference Rich. If someone doesn't know how to use grammar, and if they aren't aware of it (whether they are 10 or 60), then they can't know better unless it is pointed out to them.

Since starting using forums a few years ago, I realise how bad my spelling and grammar was (and still is), but I've tried learning a bit more about it.

I don't think things are that simple though... this '1 in 5 debate' in this thread highlights this, and is something that I wouldn't have spotted (and still don't get! :hihi:)

Some more which annoy:

• Complimentary vs complementary
  • The scrambling of 's' and 'c' in words like practice/practise, licence/license and advise/advice (for those not in the know the noun takes the form -ce and the verb -se)
  • Redundancies such as reiterate in place of iterate, and etc in place of etc. I will however allow some redundancies such as PIN number or HIV virus.

jb

Archived